Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Frozen Foods on sale

Started by Philnashbass, January 04, 2013, 05:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philnashbass

I took advantage of some pre/post Christmas sales recently, specifically on lots of frozen food pkgs.
Thought I was getting a great deal, but after trying Omega One mysis and their brine shrimp with spirulina. What a disappointment, the stuff is loaded with particulate matter of no description and the "shrimp" looks poor and or miniscule. Feels like I'm poisoning my tank each time I feed. Found a 2 inch hair in one of the cubes last week.
'Pay for what you get I suppose.
50 gal. CADLights cube with 15 gal. CADlights sump:
CADLights PLS 100 skimmer
AI Vega LED with controller
Ocellaris pair in LTA, Sml. Hippo Tang,  Powder Brown Tang, Favia, Gorgonia, Frog Spawn, Rhodactis, Sun Coral, Open Brain, Colt Coral, Plate Coral

220 gal. with 80 gal. sump:
Vortex IN 280 skimmer
8 Bulb Teklight T5's, Reefbrite actinic
Pair Gold Bar Maroon Clowns (extra lrg. female), Hippo Tang, Lrg. Pink Tail Trigger, Blue Face Angel,  Kole Tang, Humu Humu Trigger,  2 Yellow Tangs...3 RBTA's, Hammer Coral, Torch Coral, Frog Spawn, Leather Coral

percula99

I bought some of the Omega One before also and did not like it. Frankly, neither did the fish.  :D They would not eat it and I thought I was polluting my tank with it. Too much of a cloud of uneatable food. I like the Hikari frozen food much better.
180 gallon reef. 250 lbs live rock. Mostly LPS and softies with some SPS. Show fish are Blonde Naso, Emperor Angel, mated Ocellaris clowns. 504 watt LEDs..

alexv

I agree about Hikari. Good quality and the food looks appetizing (even to me, if I were a fish :)).
220g FW Community planted: SAE (5), Puntius denisonii (4), clown loach (2), Yoyo loach (3), kuhli loach (3), otocinclus affinis (2), rummynose tetra (3), harlequin rasbora (17), rope fish (1), glass catfish (3), bamboo shrimp (2), upside-down catfish (2), Chinese algae eater (2), rubber-lipped pleco (2), cherry shrimp (many)

55g FW Community planted: Black ghost knifefish (2), Armored bichir (2), banjo catfish (2),  Rosy tetra (2)

Greatwhite

Omega 1 has had small dead fish in the cubes in my experience... And it REALLY had me looking for the unending source of small dead fish.  I had even come to the conclusion that my 8 year old clownfish had evolved to have live births.  It was not until about 2 months of feeding that brand of cubes before I noticed the little corpse come out of the melted cube.