Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Strong Lid Supports for wooden canopy??

Started by lucky777, January 29, 2013, 12:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucky777

Have a new 150 gallon that I bought with stand and canopy.  Canopy is 74"L x 24"w. The manufacturer said the weight is about 35-45 lbs.  It simply has piano style hinges on rear and in order to leave it open it clams open against the wall and just leans there.  I really need some good friction safety lid supports.  I can buy spring loaded and cheap brass friction ones at big box stores locally but they aren't rated for that kind of weight.

Has anyone came across any strong supports that could handle that wait.  Because of length I plan on using one on left and right.  Center is not an option.

Thank you

lucky777

Here is the friction support brackets I ended up with.  They are used for kitchen cabinetry and support about 16 pounds each side.  With the 5  piano hinges in back and the way the weight is distributed they seem to work well.

Darth

ahh now it makes sense honestly before the pics I was like IDK what you're looking for LOL now I can see what you mean by it was resting against the wall now (sorry I am a little slow) yeah what you have works well, as far as rated for weight dont forget thats on a focal point as the canopy weight is distributed so its probably less on those points then what the hinge is rated for