Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Recommendations for a Heater for 5 G

Started by lucius, December 28, 2012, 02:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucius

I bought the Aqueon Mini Heater on Boxing Day but it seems underpowered because the water hovers around 20 degrees.  No specs but other websites say it should be preset to 26 degrees.

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/mini-heater.htm

Anyone with a 5 gallon tank with a heater?  Which heater do you use?

exv152

I have a 7g and use no heater at all. But it's cycling at the moment with no fish. Not sure if I want to add more equipment to such a small space, it becomes visually overbearing in nano setups.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

lucius

It's sort of a quarantine tank right now with one bleeding heart tetra tattooed with white fungus.  Initially, I was treating the whole tank (90 gallons) with Pimafix but it seemed to be doing nothing so I transferred him into the 5 gallon.  He's still kicking despite being sick, an hour or so of chasing him and now living in 20 degree water.  :o

exv152

If it's a quarantine tank you definitely want to keep the temp up around 30 or so. Personally if I had to choose I would go with an eheim jager heater. They can be calibrated and adjusted to what you want, unlike aqueon which is preset, and they come in 25 and 50w for smaller nano tanks.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

sylros

I currently have a fish in quarantine with the same problem treating the fish for fungus issue. In my 5gal tank, the heater is a marineland, 50W adjustable heater and works awesome with keeping the temperature at 82. The fish is already better for it.

Big Al's sells it for $13.99...I also used it for the 10 gallons without a problem. If they don't have in the store, I saw it on their website.