New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

First Timer - KH and GH Use

Started by ottawa_fry22, January 30, 2013, 10:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ottawa_fry22

Hey everyone,

I recently got Nutrafin's KH Booster and African Cichlid Conditioner (GH Increase) for my 75gal and 20gal freshwater tanks which I keep south american type cichlids (not africans).  The reason why I got these 2 products (500ml) is because my parents have well water AND also have water softener system.  So on a test strip reading for GH is at 0. The KH reading is at 240.  I know the strip tests are not as accurate as the drops but its all I had for checking those two. 

And now that I think of it...Im confused as why I even have the KH Booster now.   ??? Because it says in the strip test that KH at 240 is for goldfish, brackish, rift lake cichlids, and marine fish. o_O' So I must need to return that KH booster right?

On another note about the GH African Cichlid Conditioner..it says on the bottle that it provides beneifical minerals such as calcium, potassium and sodium. Helps to produce a calcium/magnesium ratio of 3 to 1 which is common to Malawi and Victoria. 

My question for this is...should I use Seachem Equilibrium? Because I have ordered it and its ready for pick up.  My water has nothing beneficial in it...it needs minerals or else my fish may suffer from nutrient deficiency and maybe hole in the head. 

I want to make sure that I dont overdose on the minerals.  And I especially dont want to put anything into shock.  So I need to know what is sufficient an how to start.

Please and Thanks,

Stephanie

75 gal planted, t5HO, fine soft sand, powder-form hydroponic fertilizers., 5 viejita apistogramma, 1 Banjo Cat, 1 Rapheal Cat, 3 Emerald Corys, 2 black angels, 1 Bushynose Pleco, 1 molly, 5 SAEs, 2 bolivian ram, 1 kribensis.

20 gal low light sand tank, 4 white cloud mountain minnows.

exv152

I would not use the KH booster, you don't need it. As for equilibrium, just follow the instructions on the bottle, it's quite  simple.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

sas

I had remembered threads awhile back discussing this, so did a quick search of the site and came up with this.

http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=12481.0

ottawa_fry22

Thanks for the link and also clearing up that I dont need to use that booster. I hope the fish will be happy with the Equilibrium. Ive had some nice fish with many colors such as Threadfin Acara (Heckals) and Red Humps.  I probably didnt get to see them at their full potential, coloration and health since I moved back home.  Dont have many fish now and gonna wait to make sure that bugger of a parasitic problem is actually done.  A combination of that..having to do doses of API General Cure and having a nitrate spike wiped most of them out one night.  So hoping to keep better watch from now on.

Thanks,

Stephanie
75 gal planted, t5HO, fine soft sand, powder-form hydroponic fertilizers., 5 viejita apistogramma, 1 Banjo Cat, 1 Rapheal Cat, 3 Emerald Corys, 2 black angels, 1 Bushynose Pleco, 1 molly, 5 SAEs, 2 bolivian ram, 1 kribensis.

20 gal low light sand tank, 4 white cloud mountain minnows.