Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Radion vs. AI

Started by NanoSF, January 30, 2013, 07:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheebs

Quote from: Greatwhite on February 08, 2013, 10:35:21 AM
WOW... 2 AIs on a 55 long...  I had a 55 long, and it doesn't take a lot to light those guys!!!  I'm sure that everything in there LOVES all that light!!!!!! 

When I pull the trigger on a light upgrade, I'll be looking for AI for sure... 90G, 48"... 2 AIs will do the trick nicely.

I'd say so yeah, SPS near the top shouldn't have much trouble at all. Down low you could keep plenty of softies.

NanoSF

rgauvin I don't know why you have to say I am calling you a lier? I had the AI and I have the Radion. I have first hand observations of both lights. Unless something has been altered or is malfunctioning, it's just hard to believe the tank has dark areas with two AIs that high up. The stock AI has the 70 degree optics on the outside, so the shadow in the middle should not exist. Maybe the guy has the optics flipped so the middle are 40 degrees, but it would still seem hard to have dark areas. Anyway, my point is that the Radion does not seem to provide much more if any more coverage than the Radion. This is after a direct test on the exact same tank. One Radion over my 33 gallon vs. one AI over my 33 gallon. When I got my new lights I turned on the Radion full power and stuck it exactly where my AI was. It had the same shade in the top corners and the stuff on the bottom was actually dimmer than the AI. I don't know what else to say. This was compared 5 seconds apart from each other with a few people looking at it. The Radions spread was maybe a very tiny bit better, but the AI penetrated noticeably better. It's not like I am trying to prove what I have is the best. I have the Radions now.

As is often the case with new technology, the new thing becomes "cooler" and must be better. It just feels like people are enamored with the Radion regardless of all the tests out there that show the facts when it comes to PAR at least. Maybe the tests are rigged, but they all seem to say the same thing unless it's some kind of conspiracy  :o

I like my Radions, they have things about them that are better than the AI. But fan noise is higher (maybe not loud, but it's a fact they are louder than AI), and strength of light is just not where I would have expected for the higher watt and price of the Radion.