Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

cleaning tubes

Started by Bizz, November 04, 2005, 04:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bizz

Is there any easy way to clean the inside of the tubes going to a filter. i have a bit of gunk in there which I would love to get rid of but can't get anything deep enough in. Is there any thing i can by or maybe make. Thanks

Kyle

sarahbella

the tubes from an undergravel filter??  Baby bottle brush maybe???  $1 at any dollar store...

AdamR

I have seen a pack of 3 long handled brushes in fish section @ Walmart .

jaracas

if it is the tubes for a canister what i do is remove the pipe, get a length of string and tie a nail to one end and a piece of rag to the other.
drop the nail through the pipe and pull the rag through.
repeat a couple of times till you are happy

:D

BigDaddy

The stores have something similar to jaracas' DIY solution.

Essentially, its a string of rigid material that you snake through the pipe, with a brush on the end.

Bizz

Thanks I'm going to try the string threw the tube.

Iceman

A bottle brush of appropriate size with string tied to both ends. That way you can "saw it" back and forth to get a good scrub. Of course you'll probably need help with it.

AdamR

SP Kanata has pack of 3 long handled brushes in their "Garage Sale" section, I got them for $1 last night.

Bizz

I tried the string threw the tubes and it worked great my out flow has increased to almost new. i never knew there could be so much crude in such small tubes, thanks for all the suggestions.