Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Water testing- overhaul suggestions

Started by ceci, February 24, 2013, 02:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceci

I'm wondering what water testing kits you all recommend? Currently I have aquafin NO2 , NH3 & NH4 and PH tests.

So I am in the process of overhauling a 10 gallon tank that used to house feeder guppies and had a snail infestation. With a wisper filter. I drained the tank completly (kept filter wet) removed all the substrate, rinsed and scrubbed and scrapped with vinegar and water and then rinsed. I have now filled it will clean pool filter sand and a large piece of driftwood that was in someone else's tank (in hindsight that may have been a poor choice). I got rid of all the plants that were in the tank as there was simply too many eggsacs and I am really trying to avoid a re infestation. The tank is full of all new water and the filter is running and I have started a fishless cycle process. It will be planted slowly (yay march auction!)

I'm not at all a pro when it comes to cycling tanks, although I do know the basics. I will be stocking this tank with all red albino guppies, and trio costing $100 plus $55 for shipping (overnight) so for me these are expensive fish.....so I am very paranoid about making sure the water and everything is perfect before getting the guppies.

This is tank #5 for me, but my first time at actually getting fish from a breeder and trying my hand at breeding.

Any other thoughts on what else I should treat the water with? Some medication or anything? I would be devastated to have one of the guppies die.

Side note I am also getting a trio of blue snakeskins at the same time ($55), more within my price range, but they will be housed separately (29 gallon maybe with a rainbowfish) as I don't want them to crossbreed. If someone strongly suggests get two of the same trio's then I am open to that advice as well.

Sorry this was so long :) Thanks for any help that you can offer :)

Ceci

ceci

I will start posting pics as soon as I get that figured out :)

sas

Great stuff, overhauls are just as exciting as tank builds. :)
Feel free to post your overhaul of the 10g in the Freshwater Tank builds
section of the forum.

If I were you I'd remove the piece of driftwood and thoroughly clean it now
before you go much further., but then that's just me. Why put all the effort
into cleaning and then use a decoration that hasn't been cleaned.
You can speed up your tank cycling by using grungy filter material
from one of your other tanks.
Can't wait to see your new fish and yes it's always nerve racking buying
and homing expensive fish.

ceci

Thanks sas :)

what would you clean the driftwood with? i only let it dry out before and gave it a good scrubbing....soak it in something perhaps?

I'm in no huge rush.....likely will wait till better weather in april to have the fish shipped. Waiting is hard :)

Ceci

ceci

so just tested the ammonia 0.1 (was almost between a 0 and 0.1) and nitrite 1.6

perhaps this is an expected spike? will have to get a proper tests for nitrates as well....

is any of this making sense?

wrm130

ammonia going down, nitrite going up.  sounds normal.

ceci

I'll keep up with what I am doing and post result in 2 days for more feedback.

Thanks! You all all lifesavers!

Ceci

sas

Quote from: ceci on February 24, 2013, 02:31:30 PM

what would you clean the driftwood with? i only let it dry out before and gave it a good scrubbing....soak it in something perhaps?

I'm in no huge rush.....likely will wait till better weather in april to have the fish shipped. Waiting is hard :)

Ceci

You might be alright then since you let it dry and then scrubbed it.
Everyone has there own ideas on what to do with wood, ie) boil, bleach, bake,
scrub with salt and hot water, put it in the sun etc..
I use this stuff, when cleaning tanks and accessories.

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/LCLOnline/products.jsp?type=details&catIds=cat40002&catIds=323&productId=19519

since I dislike the smell of bleach and this product is easily rinsed away.

And oh ya waiting is definitely hard.

ceci

Nitrites 1.6 and ammonia 0....good thing I'm a patient person :) Still doing the fishless cycle with flake food.....

Ceci