Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My 26 Gallon Tank

Started by Furtrader, March 17, 2013, 11:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furtrader

Hello everyone.
I have had freshwater aquariums years ago, and decided to get back into it.
I started my 26 gallon freshwater tank at the beginning of February.I re-used my gravel, a couple of reddish rocks, and my old submarine.I purchased two new artificial coral (one with a bubbler) and a couple fake plants.I did a fishless cycle for about a month.I added a live moss ball, a Comet Goldfish and two Sunburst Platies.I know (now) goldfish are coldwater, so I'm looking for an inexpensive (or free) tank for him.The aquarium has been running now for about a month and a half.Every water test shows my nitrites/nitrates are way too high.I do approximately 15% to 20% water changes weekly (if not more), I fill my water bucket in advance, letting it sit (covered) for days and I add Prime into it when I fill it.I use Jungle or Proquatics water clarifier. I have rinsed my 3 filter inserts (Aquaclear 200) out in the water I siphoned from my tank and reinstalled them.I'm using Stability as well.I'm at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong.
Anyhow, here are photos of my aquarium.Hope you like it.
Cheers,
Jeff

Thought you may like this photo...

The fish in the pix were Zebra Danios that didn't survive.My goldfish is in the pics as well.
Right now I have one goldfish and two sunburst platies.I feed them incredibly small amounts, virtually pencil point size amount, twice a day.I'll cut back to once a day.I cleaned the tank and sloshed the gravel around in the water and dumped it out.I actually forgot to wash the red rocks before putting them in.The tank doesn't go cloudy after changing water.I actually meant to say I've used the water clarifier, I haven't used it in a while.
I get my water samples tested at the local store.I ran my tank at startup with used filter inserts, then put new ones after about two weeks.
Thanks,
Jeff

sas

Just a quick impression I'm getting is try not to keep your tank "clean".
I know that sounds strange.

Quote from: Furtrader on March 17, 2013, 11:46:30 AM
I feed them incredibly small amounts, virtually pencil point size amount, twice a day.I'll cut back to once a day.

This is a good idea, and personally I'd ditch the additives your adding to the tank, just go with
Prime for water changes.

Quote from: Furtrader on March 17, 2013, 11:46:30 AM
I cleaned the tank and sloshed the gravel around in the water and dumped it out.I actually forgot to wash the red rocks before putting them in.The tank doesn't go cloudy after changing water.I actually meant to say I've used the water clarifier, I haven't used it in a while.
I get my water samples tested at the local store.I ran my tank at startup with used filter inserts, then put new ones after about two weeks.

Leave your filter inserts alone, don't change them out since that's where all your beneficial bacteria is that you need to complete the cycle.
Here's a decent site for water changes during cycling,

http://www.firsttankguide.net/cyclechange.php

As well if you could get some more grungy filter media from someone that would help.

cdylnicki

I agree with sas.  Just let your system be - try to not make any changes for at least the next 3 weeks or longer.  Unless of course totally necessary (eg. the filter stops working and the tank is smelly and cloudy).

This includes not adding any new decorations or fish too! 

Furtrader

I should still do water changes, though....right?

exv152

I agree with all the suggestions above, especially with regards to the filter media, I would leave that alone (not even rinse it in tank water) for the first 4-6 months. Newly established bacteria can be fragile and needs time to establish at first. The other thing too is to leave the gravel alone, I wouldn't siphon it at all unless you have a lot of food at the bottom. I would just concentrate on removing water to get rid of the nitrites. If you add prime directly to the tank it also helps with binding ammonia and nitrites (makes it's safe for the fish).
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

cdylnicki

I say no to major water changes unless absolutely necessary (fish gasping at surface, high ammonia)

Small changes - 5-10% of the water volume (smaller changes are better).

Agree with exv152 not to siphon the gravel with these water changes.

give it time.

Shawn84

I agree with everyone do small % of water change weekly. Your tank is still going through its cycle.
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

Furtrader

Thanks for the advice, everyone.
I appreciate it, my fish appreciate it, my cat Crash Kitty appreciates it, and my dog Muppy the Puppy is indifferent.

sas

Good stuff, I for one enjoy multiple pet families, so much more personalities. :)

Furtrader

I got my water tested yet again today.
Here are the numbers the lps girl wrote down:
Ammonia-1.0
Nitrite-0.3
Nitrate-80-100
pH-6.2
Alkalinity-40-80
Hardness-75
Chlorine & chloramine-0
From what I have read so far, my main concern is the nitrates.I'll do a 10-15% water change in the morning.

cdylnicki

Good!  That means your tank is nicely cycling (the low nitrites are great!)

Remember not to touch your filter pads and don't siphon the gravel.  You can add in some cycle as well to help replenish the bacteria.

Let us know if you have any more questions!  We love helping.

Stussi613

I would be concerned about the high ammonia and nitrate, water changes will help with those.
I haz reef tanks.

Furtrader

Here is my tank as of today.
Everyody (fishy types) are doing well.
Oh, so are my other critters, for anyone interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FTPiorkTyE