Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fish in school!

Started by Nerine, February 09, 2013, 03:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerine

Going to be setting up a tank in school :) everyone kept talking about getting fish into schools, but not much came of it...so I'm gonna get this rolling!!

The children are learning about habitats, so going to set them up with something small yet nice! and easy to care for!! I have to check to see what supplies they have, and what I have to offer them...hoping to not have to buy much (been looking for members with fish, but it doesn't seem like anyone is breeding fish anymore!!!) so guess I'm going to be taking a trip to the LFS's!!

Does anyone's child have a tank in school? or plan to have one?
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

rockgarden

When you get that list of "still needed" list together, post it here and I'll take a look in the cupboard.  Won't see you until auction time but might be able to supply a few things like a net or two or  fish food, or ....

Ron

Nerine

Thanks Ron :)

The kids are really excited!! me too :)
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

Fishnut

How about this:

10 gallon tank
Lid with a light
Gravel
Easy to keep plants
A chunk of driftwood
My nasty livebearer that beat up the convicts I got for you.  It's not common, has an interesting spotted pattern and glitters a bit in the sunlight.
A few assassin snails

Ta Da!!  The kids can name their special fish.  Jaws or something would be appropriate.

I have everything except a lid with the light.  I'll even give you a decent supply of food if you can take this fish off my hands!!

Nerine

hahahahaha too funny!!!!! :D They have a tank and lid....Not sure what else they are missing!!! was hoping to get some babies out of the deal ;) hehe your Jaws might not work with that :D but thank you ;)
I've been trying to get rid of my gold gourami for YEARS!!! YEARS!!!! and nobody ever wants it :P the thing lives with south american cichlids and even THEY are afraid of it :P

zenins

Here in Kitchener-Waterloo we started to place aquariums in Grade 4 classes last year.

The kids are pumped !

I hope that enough survive the teen years with distractions like cars, the opposite sex, cell phones, online games, computers, sports, etc, to join the club when they get older.

We need more young people in the hobby :)

Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards

Nerine

That's awesome :) OVAS should be doing that too!!

blueknight0303

how about a 20g with jellybean parrot cichlids that petsmart sells? they spawn like 200 fries every month =P

they can learn many things with them! lifecycle, parenthood, survival and habitats...  ;D

ceci

Nerine I have the same problem with one of my gouramis......been trying to re home him for a while.....he picks on my other gourami and even my rainbow sharks aren't a fan of either of them. I am setting up a new tank but was hoping to house my piranhas in it, but looks like the piranhas will have to wait so one of the gouramis can have his own territory. Beautiful fish, but not suited to most community tanks, unless large, and solo.

Aud

I found this link that seems similar like your idea, except the class room is breeding them for a biology class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGQGl8dueDw

Nerine

Very cool :)

I would love to see more fish in different offices and schools! :) Nothing better than sitting and watching calming fish while waiting for the dentist or doctor!!

One doctor I used to have had a HUGE cage of Rex rabbits and a couple fish tanks :D best place ever!
and as for schools...I've seen most school tanks that are 10 gallons or less and a huge goldfish stuck in them!! Trying to change that :)

Montrealguy

I run four tanks in a high school - works well.

I wouldn't use jellybean parrots to teach habitat - it's a test-tube fish with no habitat in nature...

I use livebearers. The main one is Ameca splendens, an endangered Goodeid from Mexico that was considered extinct for awhile. The idea of such a thing really catches the kids' attention.