New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Time of day for adding Ferts?

Started by wolfiewill, February 02, 2013, 11:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfiewill

Should I be adding ferts before the lights go on? I thought I read that somewhere but can't find much on it. I'm using PPS and dosing macros on days 1, 3, 5 and micros on days 2, 4, 6.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

blueknight0303

it does not matter lights on or lights off since the roots absorb them non stop, except if you are dosing Co2. id say 3 days interval but it still depends on how much plants you have on your tank. if you have a carpet of plants then probably 2 days interval. the size of the tank is also a factor to consider.

charlie

I always dose mine my Macros a few hrs before lights on, same with Micros.
I subscribe to the theory that plants do their bulk of uptake in the first few hrs of Photosynthesis.
Regards

wolfiewill

Quote from: charlie on February 27, 2013, 05:47:33 PM
I always dose mine my Macros a few hrs before lights on, same with Micros.
I subscribe to the theory that plants do their bulk of uptake in the first few hrs of Photosynthesis.
Regards
That's what I read somewhere but can't find the thread now. I try to dose everything the evening before or early in the day, too.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

wolfiewill

Found it! The PPS system proponents recommend adding ferts 1 hour before lights on just as Charlie said - to enhance uptake before the optimal photosynthetic period early in the lights on period.

androo303

Great information to know.

Sadly, mine usually get in either before i leave for work (8-9hrs before lights on) or just after lights on (30 minutes).

charlie

Quote from: androo303 on April 08, 2013, 03:13:38 PM
Great information to know.

Sadly, mine usually get in either before i leave for work (8-9hrs before lights on) or just after lights on (30 minutes).
From my personal experience , i have not seen any issues with that .

exv152

I found this related thread that speaks directly to this topic. Interesting read. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=72924
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g