Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Shrimp Questions

Started by smalltownfan, May 12, 2013, 01:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smalltownfan

I was going to PM the seller directly (nice shrimp flyingpancake, thank you) but other members may like to know also.
1) I just got 12 Fire Red juveniles. I've had other types before, but these guys spend most of their time swimming. I've never noticed that in the other types I've had.
2) I would like to add a few fish for movement, but if these guys swim so much I may not need to. I was thinking of a few CPD's from Marc-Andre at La Niche but when I was looking them up they eat mosquito larvae in their natural habitat and baby shrimp look the same and I don't want to lose too many FRS. Is there a fish that is compatible to have in a shrimp tank?
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

alexv

Quote from: smalltownfan on May 12, 2013, 01:59:32 PMIs there a fish that is compatible to have in a shrimp tank?

The safe bet would be some herbivores like otto cats. I've had shrimp with small characins like neon tetras. Larger fish definitely don't pass up the opportunity to snack on some shrimpies. But I have a large tank with LOTS of shrimp, so the population survives even though many shrimp get eaten regularly...
220g FW Community planted: SAE (5), Puntius denisonii (4), clown loach (2), Yoyo loach (3), kuhli loach (3), otocinclus affinis (2), rummynose tetra (3), harlequin rasbora (17), rope fish (1), glass catfish (3), bamboo shrimp (2), upside-down catfish (2), Chinese algae eater (2), rubber-lipped pleco (2), cherry shrimp (many)

55g FW Community planted: Black ghost knifefish (2), Armored bichir (2), banjo catfish (2),  Rosy tetra (2)

bettabreeder

Otos are the only true tried and tested fish to keep with shrimp. The general rule of thumb is if the shrimplet fits in the fishes mouth then it will be eaten

Shawn84

You can keep them together just as long as you have enough plave for the shrimplet to hid. Meaning a tone of moss or really bushy plants. I am currently keeping cherry barb together with cherry and green shrimp.
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........