Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

amazonia or other shrimp tank substrates?

Started by bettabreeder, April 12, 2013, 08:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bettabreeder

Does anyone know where to get a decent bag of this stuff? I'm thinking of selling some stuff to focus on shrimp which would require this substrate.

daworldisblack

We got some Amozonia from Angelfins when they were in town for Aquamania. I also use the Crystal Shrimp Substrate from Netlea and its awesome. That one I got from Toronto at Aquainspiration. There is also the Fluval Shrimp Stratum which should be available locally. I hear they are the same as the Plant Stratum really though.. just different sized.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

I second the fluval shrimp stratum over the amazonia II, it's cheaper and readily available locally. The closest dealers for the aqua soil would be lucky aquarium and AI in scarborough at $40 a bag. Then angelfins in guelph or le centre aquatique in Trois-Rivières.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

bettabreeder

Decent thanks guys. I am using the FSS just wondering how practical to fill a 15g and how great the buffering capacity is compared to ada or neatle

exv152

Quote from: bettabreeder on April 12, 2013, 11:04:27 PMDecent thanks guys. I am using the FSS just wondering how practical to fill a 15g and how great the buffering capacity is compared to ada or neatle

Supposedly the ADA amazonia has the longest buffering lifespan compared to most soil based substrates. And, if you compare prices, a bag of 9L Amazonia is $40 (which works out to 20 lbs), FSS sells for $27 for a 8.8 lbs bag, and Netlea costs the same as Amazonia. In the three tanks I've used Amazonia in, they all buffered at 5.5 to 6.2.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

I have a slightly different take on shrimp substrate.
I believe that for Ottawa`s soft water buffering is not as important as we make it out to be for the shrimp, it may be the minerials from the substrate that is more vital to the shrimp ( could be wrong).
If you are just wanting the substrate for shrimp breeding, the FSS will do just fine with our water.
Errol

bettabreeder

Quote from: charlie on April 13, 2013, 08:55:58 AM
I have a slightly different take on shrimp substrate.
I believe that for Ottawa`s soft water buffering is not as important as we make it out to be for the shrimp, it may be the minerials from the substrate that is more vital to the shrimp ( could be wrong).
If you are just wanting the substrate for shrimp breeding, the FSS will do just fine with our water.
Errol
Very true but I was going to try to breed Taiwan bees which I kno that my FSS never buffered down to 5.5-6.2. I guess I could always try FSS and switch to Amazonia if I really need too