Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Crab hunting

Started by blizzack1, May 12, 2013, 08:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blizzack1

So, I've lost one cleaner shrimp, two peppermint shrimp, and now one small clownfish two days ago, since I started my saltwater tank maybe 9 months ago. 

While that has been happening, my fish and coral have been growing well enough, and everyone seems happy, so when I lost the clownfish (disappeared without a trace) I was worried I had a pest of some sort.

Well, as luck would have it, at feeding time today, a LARGE crab emerged from the sand, helped himself to some pellets, and went into a cave.

I tried to coax him out, and almost got him.. and ended up grabbing the piece of liverock he went in to. 

Seaching online, I then subjected him and the rock to a steady stream of carbonated water, then a fresh water dip (that lasted a while) and now i have the live rock (with him still inside) in a bucket with some tank water, wondering what my next steps are.

Have I reached the point where I can't put the live rock back in tank?  Where do I go from here?

Thanks!

Roland

Take an appropriate sized pop bottle. Cut off the top and invert it. Adhere the inverted top to the body. Add food and submerse.
See what that does.

Greatwhite

He already "disposed" of the crab another way. :)  That crab won't be bothering anyone anymore!!!

blizzack1

A fearsome adversary, to sat the least!