Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

To OD or not OD?

Started by valiko, November 18, 2005, 01:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valiko

Does anybody overdrive their lights? T8/T12/Power Compact?

BigDaddy

I have a 36 watt cf bulb overdriven to 40 watts.  Simply because I found a cheap ballast that drove dual F32T8s which was also rated for a CF 40 bulb.

Otherwise, my other lights have ballasts that are all electronic driving their equivalent in CF bulbs.  My NO tubes are all commercial units... so I didn't feel like pulling the ballasts out.

valiko

Any heat issues?

I called Buchanan lighting and was told by a very nice guy, that instead of buying ballast for 2x55 PC, I can get a 4x40 T8 ballast.

I am a bit concerned, put I am pretty sure that it should work :)

BigDaddy

With CF bulbs... just make sure you don't UNDERDRIVE them.  They may not fire.. or they simply won't last.

How much was the 4 x 40?  I have picked up 110 Watt electronic ballasts for about $70

valiko

Quote from: "BigDaddy"With CF bulbs... just make sure you don't UNDERDRIVE them.  They may not fire.. or they simply won't last.

How much was the 4 x 40?  I have picked up 110 Watt electronic ballasts for about $70

Thats the reason he suggested overdriving the bulbs. The price.
4x40 is $25, versus $80. And yes, it is an electronic ballast, although I did not ask the brand.

Which, I think, makes it very very attractive.