Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hanging High Output Lights...???

Started by ottawa_fry22, June 07, 2013, 02:47:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ottawa_fry22

Hey all,

I never gave this much thought but Im just wondering if I should try hanging my lights instead of having them sitting on the tank.  Should I do this? My tank is 75gal planted..need dry ferts still and need c02. 

Im asking about this because of the hair/beard algae growing on the wood and some rocks. I also get slim algae on the glass.  I have a UV sterilizer running too..so I figure it may me the lights being low that create the algae especially when I dont have thick plants like I used to that would outcompete the algae.

Im not sure if I can hang it from the type of ceiling there is in the basement. My basement ceiling is those Styrofoam squares with the thin steel in between.

Please share on hanging large lights anyway. Thanks in advance.

Stephanie
75 gal planted, t5HO, fine soft sand, powder-form hydroponic fertilizers., 5 viejita apistogramma, 1 Banjo Cat, 1 Rapheal Cat, 3 Emerald Corys, 2 black angels, 1 Bushynose Pleco, 1 molly, 5 SAEs, 2 bolivian ram, 1 kribensis.

20 gal low light sand tank, 4 white cloud mountain minnows.

lucius

My work has a drop down ceiling and in alot of places they attached metal rods or chains to the concrete directly above the drop down ceiling.  You should be able to do something similar but to your wooden ceiling joists above the ceiling.

Mike L

Lucius is correct.  The metal T bars that the ceiling tiles go into have slots above the tile. Support the area over the tank from the T-bar to the wood joists using chain or wire made for this purpose. Then get decorative T-bar clips made to hang things off of them and attach lights with chain. All can be bought for about $10-15 a any Reno store

exv152

Another option would be a diy job similar to this ... there's also a reptile thing for lights/heating elements similar to this that would work for an aquarium.

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

exv152

BTW, how many T5HO bulbs are you running, and how high are they from the substrate in inches?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g