Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

chemi-clean

Started by akaBillyPrefect, June 28, 2013, 12:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akaBillyPrefect

I dosed my tank to try to rid it of red slime.  My skimmer reacted almost immediately - lights have been out for a while now and my clown is circling around, mad I guess as he used to sleep in the kenya tree and is refusing to leave the back wall now.

Greatwhite

Taken from a Chemi-Clean page:

"For best results, turn off UV sterilizer or Ozonizer and Protein Skimmer. Remove Chemi-Pure or Carbon Filtration for 24 hours following each treatment."

Gotta read the directions when you're using additives, medication or chemicals or you'll just waste your money.

That said, I have had lots of luck with something called eXital against cyano.  It is reef safe, doesn't require turning off skimmers/etc, and claimed that I would see improvement in 10 days -- and on day 11 it was gone, never to return. I bought it at Big Als a couple years back when I needed it. I don't know if they still have it.

Darth

I just dosed with a half packet of maracyn, I know people gasp, but the 2 n times I had to use it, on 2 different tanks, it was gone in 3 days never to return

akaBillyPrefect

The back of the box is different than the web site, unfortunately... back of box says it's fine to run skimmer while using the product.  I ended up with a good cleaning but not full removal.  Skimmer is going, lights reduced, feeding is definitely dropped, and I cleaned up as much as I could from the sand while changing water. 
I am hoping that I maybe beat it down enough to squash it out from here.