Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Plumbing Supplies

Started by xbrentx, January 15, 2013, 08:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xbrentx

Where does everyone get their plumbing supplies from?  I went to Rona and they don't carry anything PVC related below 1" 1/4 and my bulkheads are 1".

Is there any store/location that is a shrine of plumbing supplies for this hobby?

Bigmark

I've found lowes to be the best in terms of the hardware stores with selection but I have seen a bit at fish tails not sure if the still have it. Also mops has a nice selection if you dont need it that night.

sylros

It just so happens that my husband was on the same chase as you the other day. He's expanding is saltwater tank so he needed new pvc piping. He found a place onColonnade Road road, it's called PVC Industrial Products and it's at 174 Colonnade Rd, near Merivale/Hunt Club road.

The guy has everything and is even knowledgeable with tank setups. If he doesn't have it, he will order for you. I think he also sells acrylic sheets at a better price than anywhere else or so that's what my husband reported.

This place is good for bulkheads, everything PVC. When it comes to braided flex piping is at Lowe's which is handy if you move it to the sump.
Bring some pieces in with you if you can.

There's also the LFS but the bigger bulkheads are at this place.

Good luck in finding those pieces, it often a challenge!

xbrentx

I'll check out Lowe's in orleans tonight, thanks!

xbrentx

Lowes had some decent inventory but no loc line or pvc strainer

Philnashbass

Amen to PVC Industrial Supplies on Colonnade south. They have EVERYTHING.
50 gal. CADLights cube with 15 gal. CADlights sump:
CADLights PLS 100 skimmer
AI Vega LED with controller
Ocellaris pair in LTA, Sml. Hippo Tang,  Powder Brown Tang, Favia, Gorgonia, Frog Spawn, Rhodactis, Sun Coral, Open Brain, Colt Coral, Plate Coral

220 gal. with 80 gal. sump:
Vortex IN 280 skimmer
8 Bulb Teklight T5's, Reefbrite actinic
Pair Gold Bar Maroon Clowns (extra lrg. female), Hippo Tang, Lrg. Pink Tail Trigger, Blue Face Angel,  Kole Tang, Humu Humu Trigger,  2 Yellow Tangs...3 RBTA's, Hammer Coral, Torch Coral, Frog Spawn, Leather Coral

xbrentx

xbrentx

I went to the PVC place on Colonnade and they do have everything I need for under the tank, so I will go back on Friday with my bulk heads and get everything I need to plumb the sump setup.

Now, I need to figure out what to do inside the tank for drains and returns.  I don't have overflow boxes so I was simply going to have standpipe drains with a strainer on them, but cannot find anything :(.  As for returns, I also have no idea

HELP!? :(

xbrentx

I called the PVC Store on Boyd and the guy there said he could set me up with EVERYTHING i needed, I'm going to go see him asap!

xbrentx

PVC Store hooked me up with everything I need for under the tank!  I may have to go back for a few odd ends after I map it out but the service was amazing!

Now to figure out the inside.

I have decided to use all 4 holes as drains, since they are only 3/4 inch in size.  I will plumb the return up the back and over the top.

xbrentx

Anyone have suggestions on what to use for drain standpipes?

4 drains, spread out along the back wall of a 72 inch tank.  There is no weir or overflow wall, I have researched that I could do a durso style and stick some rubber gutter guard in there to keep livestock out.

Any input?

greenthumbs

I know it may be a different hobby, but have you tried the hydroponics stores????. Ive found splitters adapters, even 100% silicone. That reminds me..............lol

it never hurts to call and inquire.....see what they may have in your area

Dan

I was also looking for some PVS and went to PVC Industrial Products on Colonnade Rd based on the information in this post....I felt like a kid in candy land!

This one thread alone was worth the yearly membership fee...I had been looking a long time for a fitting that would fit my Fluval-FX5.   8)

xbrentx

The PVC Store on Boyd was able to set me up with everything I needed for plumbing!

Jimbo

Has anyone bought any PVC fittings lately?

I went to the PVC Store on Boyd and their prices appear to have doubled or tripled. For example, I wanted to buy a screw to barb fitting (to connect to some flex tube) and was told it would be $5 per fitting! A quick check online and I found the same things at Home Hardware for less than $2. Obviously I left empty handed.

The annoying thing was that before the clerk would give a price he wanted to know if I would pay cash, and if I was a regular. This has never happened to me before 2 months ago when a new clerk started, and no other PVC retailer has ever asked me this.

Has anyone else has experienced this?

NjOyRiD

did you tell him it was for aquarium use?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Stussi613

I know they don't like taking Interac purchases for lower amounts, but this is the opposite of the experience I had when I went there...
I haz reef tanks.

Jimbo

Yes, I did tell them it was for aquarium supplies.

In the past, I've had really good service from the owner, but the new clerk keeps quoting me ridiculously high prices, and telling me how good a deal I'm getting

I mentioned that the prices had risen dramatically and that similar items purchased at PVC Industrial  last week were half the price they were charging. The clerk recommended that I go there instead - based on his attitude, I will from now on. I was using the PVC Store because it's closer to my home, but the convenience of the location doesn't make up for the lack of service or sky rocketing prices.

Aquaticfinatic

I had the same thing a few weeks back. Picked up maybe $10 worth of product and told $20 if I paid cash. Didn't make sense but needed them right away so paid. Will not be returning.