Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

tiger lotus tricks

Started by angelcraze, July 28, 2013, 12:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelcraze

The topic was just to get interest, I have no tricks, but I am asking for some.  I just bought two small red tiger lotus plants, and I wanted to try to keep them shorter.  I don't want them to surface and shad the other plants.  Any ways I do this, keep them growing low?  Thanks. 
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!

wolfiewill

Yes, keep the light intensity high. At 5 watts per gallon I was able to keep a Red Tiger Lotus at about 2-4 inches once and less light would work to an different degree. I've had a plant stay in the 8 to 10 inches range at 2.7 w/g of MH light. So try attenuating your intensity to suit your tastes. Also, in light lower than that, keep trimming the tallest leaves so each leaf isn't shading another. You'll get 8 to 10 leaves max that way. Good luck
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

angelcraze

Thank you, I won't be going high light, like 5 w/g, but I have them planted higher to the light source, and I will use the trimming of higher leaves trick, thanks!!!!

alexv

Quote from: angelcraze on August 03, 2013, 12:46:18 AM
Thank you, I won't be going high light, like 5 w/g, but I have them planted higher to the light source, and I will use the trimming of higher leaves trick, thanks!!!!

Yes, basically, trim the leaves the lotus sends to the surface and periodically even trim off some of the existing leaves and it will stay in check. But you need to let a few leaves on the surface if you want it to flower... You can trim them off afterwards :)
220g FW Community planted: SAE (5), Puntius denisonii (4), clown loach (2), Yoyo loach (3), kuhli loach (3), otocinclus affinis (2), rummynose tetra (3), harlequin rasbora (17), rope fish (1), glass catfish (3), bamboo shrimp (2), upside-down catfish (2), Chinese algae eater (2), rubber-lipped pleco (2), cherry shrimp (many)

55g FW Community planted: Black ghost knifefish (2), Armored bichir (2), banjo catfish (2),  Rosy tetra (2)

angelcraze

Sweet, I have planted them on a hill with a combo of 80w HOt5 and t8 lighting.  I've had a few new leaves grow, and the plant is staying really low to the substrate for now with bright red colour.  Thanks all!!

wolfiewill

The bright red colour should indicate you're getting it right. It could actually be almost purple. As long as the leaves stay firm and don't start to get mushy.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain