Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Bubble Magus skimmers - no longer a fan.

Started by Greatwhite, September 11, 2013, 03:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greatwhite

My skimmer was making a funny noise... I turned it off and took it out for my bi-monthly super cleaning, which it was about due for anyways.  I assumed that it sucked something in, and was rattling as a result.

So I got to cleaning...  Took the pump out, and didn't notice anything funny about it.  The mesh wheel was still intact, and there were no obstructions.  So I filled the sink and plugged it in.  There was a "pop" and then nothing worked.  There were no vibrations like it was TRYING to work -- nothing...  And, I'm just out of warranty.

I made a quick visit to Az and came home with a Reef Octopus RO-1000INT.  The footprint is bigger than the BM NAC6, since the pump is outside of the skimmer body, so it took a little rearranging to get it in the sump.  It's running now, and MAN there's a lot of bubble action. I'll write up a review of it after a few weeks of use.  So far, I'm impressed though.

<edited to fix the model number>

damonbrodie

I'm running an Octopus Diablo DC series skimmer, and that was an upgrade from a (very) old AquaC skimmer.  The Octopus is an amazing skimmer, and very solid. I've been running for about 6 months on mine, the variable speed pump is awesome for dialing in the skimming.

Greatwhite

Az had the DC one there too... I was very tempted.  I recently upgraded my return pump to a Speedwave DC one, and have been very pleased with it.

Greatwhite

I withdraw my negative comments about the BM NAC 6... I figured out the problem with the pump... Funny thing when you plug a pump in and it sprays water in the general direction of a GFI plug...  It pops, and power is cut - rendering said pump unusable in that plug.

Go figure tonight when the wife went to start laundry, the power was out to the washer.

Umm.. ya... So no one tell her that I didn't need the new skimmer, please. :)  I'm going to clean the NAC6 up and find a use for it.

Stussi613

Quote from: Greatwhite on September 13, 2013, 09:50:11 PM
Umm.. ya... So no one tell her that I didn't need the new skimmer, please. :)  I'm going to clean the NAC6 up and find a use for it.

If she asks tell her that you bought it off someone for $20...
I haz reef tanks.

Greatwhite

Interesting turn of events in skimmer land...  It seems the pump in my skimmer has been recalled for overheating issues.  Bubble Magus has a replacement pump...  Fish Tails is gone, so I'm trying to work directly through Aqua Digital now.  Hopefully we can figure a way to replace this pump!

I saw that he had an "upgrade to a curve skimmer for $99" option as well.

I sure wish someone had posted about the recall here... :(