Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Applying Vinyl to Aquariums

Started by daworldisblack, December 05, 2012, 10:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daworldisblack

Learnt this nifty trick at the last Plantaholics Anon meeting thanks to a couple of the other members. Thought I'd share it so made a vid of applying it to my 6Gallon rimless. Hope this helps someone!

Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

fischkopp

That's one up for the aquarists with a fetish for vinyl! :P
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

daworldisblack

charlie

Quote from: fischkopp on December 05, 2012, 11:00:50 AM
That's one up for the aquarists with a fetish for vinyl! :P
;D
You are a good student Rah or is it the teachers were that good  :)
Thanks for sharing this.
Errol

pm

I may be taking my main tank down to move it (re-doing the floors in my house), and will finally have the opportunity to try this.  Where do you buy the vinyl from (I will need 36" x 18")?

I can't play the video at work, so if it is mentioned there, sorry for the duplication.

daworldisblack

I got mine from DeSerres in St. Laurent mall. They sell 'em by the foot. Not sure if they have anything for the height that you need but you can always get multiple strips on. I think thats what Fischkopp might have done for his ginormous discus tank. Perhaps he can chime in.

fischkopp

DeSerres sells by the yard actually, unless you get that one employee who isn't anal about it. They widest rolls they have are 24", so no problem for that height.
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

daworldisblack

Yes my bad, they do sell by the yard and yes actually I did purchase a 24" wide roll now that I think about it. You're in the clear!

pm

Thanks guys, I might be out in that area of the city on Friday, so good to know.

exv152

How does the vinyl hold up over time? I'm thinking of trying this method mysel.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

fischkopp

Great. It's been five years since I did my tank and it's like new. Also serves as extra protection if you ever plan to move your fish room ... ;)
my fish suck

daworldisblack

Been holding up pretty well since applying it.. doesn't peel spontaneously and still looks great!

lucius

That's awesome.  Is it is easy to peel off in case you decide to try a different colour?

Greatwhite

Bonus points go to anyone brave enough to apply something like this to the back of their tank;
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/24-inch-x-36-inch-summer-magnolia/846293