Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Glass drilling for overflow

Started by Salt, September 21, 2013, 09:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salt

Good afternoon all,

I just bought a 90 gallon tank and am considering drilling.and introducing the herbie model or.bean animal.  Does anyone have any internal.overflow suggestions or how much it may cost to.drill.a.tank. I have read tons of differing opinions but I would love to hear from.the ovas community

Parisiot

Drilled my second tank recently. would def recommend it. made the overflow out of acrylic and painted the inside black.
Looks fresh and clean.
Ducktape the inside for sure before drilling.

Where are you planning on putting the overflow?

Salt

I was thinking of offset the center? good idea?

Parisiot

Helps with viewing from the sides for sure. top to bottom overflow and drill out the bottom or just at the top back?
If I did that, I would personally be inclined to make the box \__/ that kinda shape.

Stussi613

My tank is already drilled so I'm forced to go center, but if I had a choice I'd go offset since you can have your sump off to one side and maximize space under your stand.

I like the shape that Parisiot posted \__/ but I'm going to do a spray foam background so I might do a traditional |__| design since it would be a bit easier.   
I haz reef tanks.

Salt

Thanks everyone.  I will be drilling the back and introducing the "herbie overflow" I would like to have drilled bottom....but tempered.

Your suggested box build Parisiot is interesting and looks like it would be wise for flow. Are you suggesting double 45's?  and would that work offset centre?  I guess I could make it work : )