Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

A picture or 2

Started by luvfishies, November 13, 2005, 12:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvfishies

I just made some snail biscuits, and tossed some into the tanks here...

I think they're a hit ;)

closeup of the last picture

Aiglos

snails are so gross :-)

Julie

luvfishies

babies in the Nursery

babies

aidensmomma2000

Ahaha- for a sec I thought you made Christmas tree ornaments out of the snails! For a sec the plants looked like pine needles.  :lol:

pegasus

Nice
My apple snails are fussy, do you have a receipe for those biscuit?

luvfishies

Pegasus, here ya go:

3c dogfood/catfood/milkbones/shrimp pellets/koi pellets, flake food, blended to a powder and set aside
1c baby peeled carrots
2c raw butternut squash
1c fresh green beans
1 red bell pepper
6 JUMBO shrimp, shell on
1/2c "seafood mix" (squid, mussels, scallops, etc)
1 very ripe peach (including skin)
1c turnip/rutabaga
2c frozen chopped kale
1/2c frozen chopped parsley
2 TBSP spirulina powder
1 tbsp chopped garlic in oil
2 tbsp frozen krill
2 tbsp brine shrimp enriched with Omega-3

Ok, so what I did was to pulverize the hard foods to a fine powder.

Then I slowly added all the veggies and fruit into the blender and mixed till it was a mushy liquid. I divided this into 2 portions and set half aside.

I then added 1/2 of the powder into this liquid and mixed it well with a mixer. It was the consistency of a very thick, grainy paste.

You could then drop spoonfuls onto a baking sheet and flatten, and bake on very low for a few hours, or you could dehydrate.

I dehydrated. I have a Nevco dryer, and the bottom setting was on 3 and the upper on 3. It took just about 36 hours to totally dehydrate.

The snails LOVED the raw mix, and they seem to like the dehydrated biscuits just as much. I got over 30 biscuits from this half portion, and am currently drying another 25 or so from the remainder of the mix.

Try feeding you snails some canned green beans, rinsed first, of course! Also, frozen wilted Kale, parsley, or Dandelion leaves, just be sure there's no pesticides!

Bloodworms, sinking pellets, floating pellets, and even iguana/bearded dragon pellets are eagerly eaten here, in addition to "fish flakes", "algae wafers" and blanched zucchini.

pegasus

Thanks, that's quite a receipe. Do you think I can make it with half the ingredients?  :)

I have 30 apple snails in differents tanks. I tried flakes, pellets, dogfood, shrimp, blanched zucchini, carrots & cucumber but to no great interest. I think I got them now by starvation they have been eating the flakes and I must try those biscuits.

luvfishies

Quote from: "pegasus"Thanks, that's quite a receipe. Do you think I can make it with half the ingredients?  :)

I have 30 apple snails in differents tanks. I tried flakes, pellets, dogfood, shrimp, blanched zucchini, carrots & cucumber but to no great interest. I think I got them now by starvation they have been eating the flakes and I must try those biscuits.

Sure you can make it with whatever you like, really. Veggies will make them tastier, and "fish" from the grocery store will add needed protiens, but really, anything goes with biscuits, as long as you make the "raw" stuff a stiff doughlike consistency.

Mettle

I really like the blue snail.

I wish we had cool snails like those available here in Ottawa.

luvfishies

Quote from: "Mettle"I really like the blue snail.

I wish we had cool snails like those available here in Ottawa.

Well, Squeeker and RoxyDog and goldfish4ever all have some of my babies, and hopefully they'll be laying clutches soon.

I can ship, but with heatpacks and insulated boxes, it's gonna run about $15 for shipping overnight.

pegasus

Quote from: "luvfishies"Pegasus, here ya go:
--------------

Try feeding you snails some canned green beans, rinsed first, of course! Also, frozen wilted Kale, parsley, or Dandelion leaves, just be sure there's no pesticides! ...........

Dandelion leaves it is! They went crazy for the stuff.

luvfishies

Quote from: "pegasus"Dandelion leaves it is! They went crazy for the stuff.

Excellent! Dandelions are chock-full of calcium, with none of the oxalic acid in spinach that renders the calcium useless.

Now that they've munched on Dandelion, try some other dark greens. If they don't like it right away, lightly microwave the greens to "wilt" them slightly.

goldfish4ever

Awwww are those some of my snailys brothers and sisters?? :D There cute Luvs! Im going to have to make some of those cookies real soon! Im running low. :P

luvfishies

Quote from: "goldfish4ever"Awwww are those some of my snailys brothers and sisters?? :D There cute Luvs! Im going to have to make some of those cookies real soon! Im running low. :P

Actually, the ones pictured here are from newer clutches than the ones I sent out to you guys. They're growing like weeds, though!

I've just hatched out a clutch from the ones I was sent from the States, and got 2 more in an incubator, and just noticed a new clutch in the Brig tank tonight!

Whee!

Babies coming out my ears soon!

Oh, and as I said, add whatever you like to the biscuits, including apples, peaches, grapes, plums, etc, in addition to the veggies/gourd. You can also add leftover fish foods, pellets, etc to "bulk" the biscuits up. The sky's the limit as long as everything is clean and pesticide free.