Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

High PH

Started by CdnRednek, November 18, 2005, 09:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CdnRednek

Help......we're losing fish like crazy in our 25G community tank.   :cry:  I think it's due to the fact that our ph level is too high.  I just tested it and it's 7.6.  What is the best way to bring it down?

CdnRednek

Ok.......so I've done some research and what I keep reading is that basically I need a tap water filter.  Of course the issue with that is that we use a python for cleaning and refilling and to get a tap water filter that allows us to use the python is going to be rather expensive it seems.  I guess the bottom line is that we're just going to have to stick to fish that can handle the high PH level of our tap water.   At least my cichlids like the high PH.

Mettle

7.6 is really not high, in my opinion. Most tetras should be able to adapt to that level just fine I would think save for perhaps some of the more gentle/fragile ones like neons who like dirt low ph levels. And 'cichlids' do not all necessarily like high ph levels. A lot of Central and South American varieties like lower levels. Rift Valley cichlids are different and would actually enjoy a ph higher than the 7.6 that your tap is outputting.

If fish are just randomly dropping dead in the tank I would check beyond the ph. I would check ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. I would also check water hardness for fun because this may affect tetras as well. I think you said you were coming into town this weekend? So if you don't have the test kits for this (which you should with that many tanks) bring in a sample of water. I know Super Pet does free testing. I believe Big Al's does too. For peace of mind, get it checked at both places.

Also... Looking at things like how many fish you have in there, what types (even tetras can be aggressive and kill each other), how quickly you added them into the tank (which would lead back to checking parameters), etc.

I find it hard that fish are just suddenly all dropping off dead because your ph level is too high. It doesn't normally work like that. If it was an issue with them they'd die in the first couple of days most likely.

Anyway... That's a start. There's probably other things people will mention like 'have you added any new ornaments or plants' or even 'sprayed any cleaners like lysol near the tank lately'...

darkdep

I agree with Mettle...very much doubt that a 7.6 pH is causing "fish to drop dead".  7.6 is not really that high.  

What are the other params of your water?  Have you done the standard suite of tests?

- Ammonia
- Nitrite
- Nitrate
- GH
- KH

BTW, Don't think of pH as being a parameter you can change...pH is a "result" of other water parameters.  Change them, and you change pH.

Julie

cdn- I keep all my fish in minimum ph 7.5.
All the ph recommendations are not a golden rule.

Julie

Aiglos

I live 5 minutes from you and my PH comes out of the tap at 7;  and stays at 7 even after sitting for several days.

That is ODD

Did you test your PH from out of the tap ? or already in the aquarium ?

frollo

My angelfish tank's ph is usually just over 8 because my well water is very alkaline and the fish are still thriving. (Angelfish normally are more suited to slight acid water.) My approach is the minimalist, add the least amount of chemicals and don't fight with your natural water chemistry, otherwise you may create undo stress with fluctuations while you are tring to attain the perfect chemistry.  Apart from ferlizers now and then for my plants I don't add anything else. Fish are pretty adaptive, so unless you are planning to create a breeding environment, in my opinion, there is no need to adjust ph. Just keep the tank's water clean with a constant temperature and avoid water chemistry fluctuations and your tank should be fine.

I'm inclined to agree with the others because the ph isn't really that high. Have you added new fish to this tank or changed your routine?

CdnRednek

interesting answers.  Aiglos, you gotta remember, you live in the village.  makes a big difference.  It wasn't fish fighting or getting aggressive, no marks or signs of it, and none seen either.  trying proper ph to bring it down to see what happens.  have tested aquarium and tap water.  it's that high straight from the tap.  will see what happens.  could be why angel fish and plekos don't do well in my tanks.  have lost too many to try anymore.  Aiglos, you should come by one day, and check out the tanks.  bit of rearranging next weekend, so come check it out.

Julie

cdn - if you're on a well and you've got water with high buffering capacity (kh/gh) - ph down will do nothing.
Your water may be degassing right in the tank.

Julie

Aiglos

CdnRedneck: I thought we were all on the same water; I didn't think it made a difference.  

If the PH is the same from the tank to the tap I wouldnt worry about adjusting your PH;  Like Frollo said aslong as you don't mess with it it should be fine.

Id love to come over and see your setup; you are always invited to come see mine aswell.