Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Yay!

Started by aidensmomma2000, November 20, 2005, 01:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aidensmomma2000

Well I have a breeding pair of discus that have never bred successfully. I look today, and sure enough in my 80g a new pair has brown eggs on the intake tube! I didn't even know they were dating  :D  I'm very excited.

Now, what do I do? I always figure it's better to leave them in the tank where they're comfortable, but if there are babies will the pleco eat them? Will they be able to survive and grow in the 80g?

Now Im thinking I should move mom, dad and eggs to a spare tank...I also have gars in there who will eat them.

Evan

They will not survive in the 80.

There also looks to be quite a few white eggs.  The fungus will spread to the surrounding eggs.  Usually the parents  will remove the white eggs.  

I would let them practice a few times and then move them in between spawns to another tank if you want to try raising some.

aidensmomma2000

From my other pair, they never turned brown. They went white and then got fuzzy- there are lots of brown ones and no fuzz. You dont think the eggs will hatch?

Nelson

That's exactly where my pair deposit their eggs.  If you do leave them there you will loose some to your filter if you don't sponge your intake.

Evan

Oh no they might hatch.  Generally if they are not white after 24 hours they are good and could hatch.  I meant that if they do hatch the fry will not survive.

The reason some people leave them in a community for a few tries is to see if they are good parents.  

White generally means they were not fertilized.

aidensmomma2000

Done and done  :)

The parents look slimey already, it'll be a shame if the eggs don't hatch.

Mettle

You have gars in with your discus? I didn't know they were in the same tank! (I knew you had them though, obviously.) What type of gars are these? And how do they get along with the discus? Wow.