Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Stung by Dwarf Lion

Started by Liquid, October 31, 2013, 12:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liquid

Wasnt paying enough attention today and got stung by a dwarf lion.  Took two spines in the top pf my right hand.  I was the most painful experience i can remember. it was intense.  Like being stabbed, burned by steam, and stung by 20 hornets all in a 3x3" space of the top of my hand.  I got two barbs pretty deep directly in, could see the holes and all.  Started off not too bad for about 15 minutes, and then built to a mind numbing pitch within the span of 90 minutes.  At its height I was basically laughing and crying from the endorphins.  At 3 hrs it tapered off, and by 3.5 hours it was just a dull ache.

My hand is swolen, but otherwise seems fine...hopefully it wont be black and blue tomorrow....

In conclusion; yikes!

ramblnpony

Yikes is an understatement! I wonder if aqua gloves would have prevented the spines from penetrating. I read somewhere once that some natives would commit suicide from the intense pain when stung. Glad you survived and I wish you a speedy recovery for your hand.  :)

Liquid

Suicide!  Wow, well, if you can get through the 3 hours then you're fine.  Swelling is nearly gone, the hand feels like it has a bruise (despite no bruise being visible).  Watchng carefullly for necrosis, or blood poisoning etc...  Doesnt seem to be too bad now two days later, just sore.

Greatwhite

Did you happen to get any super powers?  Have you tried breathing under water yet?  Please keep me posted!

exv152

Just curious, you don't mention anything about it, but did you actually seek medical attention?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Liquid

Quote from: exv152 on November 01, 2013, 03:24:07 PM
Just curious, you don't mention anything about it, but did you actually seek medical attention?

Did not and have not sought medical attention, though i was prepared to do so if the symptoms progressed beyond pain in the hand. 

No superpowers ;)

ajm1961

If the pain is anything like bullet ants, then you would qualify as a tribe hunter!

(see: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/wild/beast-hunter/videos/wearing-a-glove-of-venomous-ants/)

Sounds absolutely dreadful!
Hope you recover with no further issues!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

Bob P

If this happens again, all you can do is submerge your hand in the hottest tap
water you can handle for 5 minutes or so. Heat is all that breaks down the venom, nothing any Dr. can do about it.