Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

ID for this hermit crab please??

Started by mchotdog, November 19, 2013, 07:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mchotdog

hey guys. i got this hermit crab thats the same size as a blue knuckle hermit crab. it is brownish green with orange in color. and it is covered in hair.
can someone help me ID this guy please? and is it reef safe?
thank you!!

Greatwhite

I have been ID'ing crabs for 10 years - and have NEVER seen a hermit crab like that in a tank.  Quite the hitch hiker you have there.  I went through about 200 pages of crabs and believe I found it...

Paguristes ortmanni

(Ortman's Hermit Crab)
http://www.recif.be/article/hermit.htm about 2/3 of the way down.

I can't find any details on it in an aquarium.  I am inclined to say he's not reef safe, but in my experience, you can USUALLY tell if a crab is reef safe by looking at it's claws.  A rounded claw is good for picking at algae and uneaten food.  A sharp claw is meant for tearing at flesh.  In the picture, I can't really tell if the claw is sharp or round - but it LOOKS rounded.

If you are keeping nice corals, I'd be inclined to get him out of there and send him to the sump.  Otherwise, I think you have a unique crab there.  I'd keep him in MY tank, but I don't have anything real nice to protect. :)

Stussi613

I think Az might end up fighting you for him!  Lol

Quote from: az on November 19, 2013, 07:04:46 PM
lol he was the only hermit in the sps tank came inside a baby snail shell few years ago.

I think they are called snow white or something like that.

I want him back, he ate many snails over the years he is priceless. look at the nice Mexican turbo shell he is in, I just got them not too long ago.
I haz reef tanks.

mchotdog

Quote from: Stussi613 on November 19, 2013, 09:15:37 PM
I think Az might end up fighting you for him!  Lol

quote author=az link=topic=57038.msg321629#msg321629 date=1384905886]
lol he was the only hermit in the sps tank came inside a baby snail shell few years ago.

I think they are called snow white or something like that.

I want him back, he ate many snails over the years he is priceless. look at the nice Mexican turbo shell he is in, I just got them not too long ago.

lol! saw his post there just now.  i want this guy too cuz he is pretty cool. ill ask az nicely and see what happens. ;D

mchotdog

Quote from: Greatwhite on November 19, 2013, 09:01:23 PM
I have been ID'ing crabs for 10 years - and have NEVER seen a hermit crab like that in a tank.  Quite the hitch hiker you have there.  I went through about 200 pages of crabs and believe I found it...

Paguristes ortmanni

(Ortman's Hermit Crab)
http://www.recif.be/article/hermit.htm about 2/3 of the way down.

I can't find any details on it in an aquarium.  I am inclined to say he's not reef safe, but in my experience, you can USUALLY tell if a crab is reef safe by looking at it's claws.  A rounded claw is good for picking at algae and uneaten food.  A sharp claw is meant for tearing at flesh.  In the picture, I can't really tell if the claw is sharp or round - but it LOOKS rounded.

If you are keeping nice corals, I'd be inclined to get him out of there and send him to the sump.  Otherwise, I think you have a unique crab there.  I'd keep him in MY tank, but I don't have anything real nice to protect. :)

thank you for helping me ID this guy. he is pretty cool. he doesnt seem to bother anything in my tank so far.