Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

To rehome?

Started by leah2296, December 16, 2013, 02:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leah2296

I think I am going to rehome one of my cichlids and I need some advice.

Many cichlids in my tank are 6-10 years old. One of the babies grew up into a big, mean nasty fish and he now rules the tank. He is gorgeous (the photos don't do him justice) but he is absolutely ruthless. He plucked out the eye of another male.

This guy was born so long ago, I can't remember exactly what species he is. Can he be ID'd?

My tank has lots of hiding spots but it doesn't seem to be enough.. I think this guy needs a bigger home and playmates his own size. My problem is - how do I rehome him? I don't want him to end up with an amateur where he will die from poor water quality or will kill every other fish in the tank.

I'm in Ottawa - anyone on here know of the best place to take him?

Thanks!

Leah

sanny

I think he might be a trawavasae, these guys are aggressive.

leah2296

Thanks Sanny! He is very aggressive.

sanny

Your tank is nice by the way! One thing you should know though, is that your anubia that you have planted in the gravel will die because they should be tied on to a rock or driftwood!

leah2296

Yeah I just realized that today about the anubias! I am going to use fishing line to tie them to some rocks. I guess I should take the roots of out the little pots they are in right?

sanny

Im loving it! Yes, remove them as soon as possible. If you keep the anubias planted in the gravel over night, you might start having yellow leafs by tomorrow morning! Westboro is pretty close to me.

leah2296

They've been in the substrate a week! I better get them out asap. Out of the pots too, right?

sanny

Yup! They're still looking pretty healthy though, so you shouldn't worry! Sounds great.

leah2296

I sent you an email to the address listed on your profile.

limmer

Hey Leah2256, nice looking tank.
Do you and Sanny come to the meetings?
Its always nice to meet other African keepers.
Come over and say hi to me.
Peter

leah2296

Hi Peter! I haven't been to a meeting yet.. Just recently came across this group as I was searching for ways to rehome my cichlid.

When I do get to a meeting, I will definitely come say hi.