Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

java fern turning black?

Started by RoxyDog, November 30, 2005, 07:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoxyDog

my nice big java fern is turning black and getting holes.  it's only been in my tank about a week, and the other javas are fine.  the lighting is low, 1.3 wpg, any thoughts?  should I trim the black parts off?
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

BigDaddy

Likely transplant shock.

A few things though....

Make sure the rhizome isn't buried.  Additionally, make sure there is good water movement along the rhizome.

Don't trim off any leaves unless they really start falling apart.

RoxyDog

I hope it is just shock from coming to it's new home.
don't know if it's gettng good water movement, it's a big plant, very low and dense.
I have half of my javas planted and half not, there appears to be no difference between planting them or not, for me anyway.  this one is not planted though...

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Poustic

My ferns do the same when I dose less iron ferts, or when the I raise the temperature.  So maybe that's was is different between its previous and new conditions?

RoxyDog

it came fom Nelson's discus tank, now in my goldfish tank, so there is defintely a temp difference.

mseguin

I'm no plant expert, but I suspect it wouldn't be so much of a temp difference as concentrations of minerals, nutrients, etc. The plant has probably adjusted to a certain exchange level, and with different concentrations in the new tank, has to adapt.