Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What strain of discus is this?

Started by Mettle, November 25, 2005, 08:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mettle

Can someone help me here?

Is it a red turq? If not, what strain?

Thanks! :D

mseguin

BigDaddy

I don't know my strains that well... but is that a Red Spotted Green?

Where's Loyed when you need him.   :lol:

Julie

Red turq with snakeskin - how many bars does he have?

Julie

Mettle

Bars... I think I see four? But only in direct light. Like, when it 'shines through him'. Otherwise I don't see them.

Julie

Sometimes they're called stress bars - if he has numerous as in around 13 he's a snake turq.

Julie

Mettle

Quote from: "Julie"Sometimes they're called stress bars - if he has numerous as in around 13 he's a snake turq.

Julie

I don't think he does.

Are these bars supposed to be vertical or horizontal?

ottawadiscus

Hi Mettle,

It's look like Red turq.

Loyed
"A man with hobbies never has time to waste" B.P

Julie

Vertical, he may only have around 8, you'll see them when he might be hungry, scared, or breeding, and they're black lines.
The snakeskin genes are unstable, meaning a snakeskin can have many different types of fry.  A snake parent could have a turq baby......., whatever is way back in the family tree.  The spotty pattern is indicative snake genes, while the colouring is turq.
You've got yourself a very hardy discus there.

Julie

Mettle

Quote from: "Julie"You've got yourself a very hardy discus there.

Thanks for all the info and encouraging words, Julie! Now if only things would settle down in the tank and a new pecking order could be established quickly.  :lol:

Julie

How many do you have in there?

Julie

Mettle

Julie

You're getting there , just 2 more for perfect harmony. :wink:

Julie

Mettle

I need a bigger tank though before I do that, don't I? 10 gallons per fish.

Julie

How big is your tank and what is your filtration?

Julie

Mettle

38 gallons with two Aquaclear 200s. (Sponge/Carbon/Biomax for media in each.) I clean the sponges on the filters weekly and currently do two gravel vacs/water changes a week removing anywhere from 20%-30% each time.

Julie

I would add one more adult, but be very strict on tank maintenance.  I've had about 7 in the 55 at one time, but I can be very particular about water changes and over filtering is important.

Julie

Mettle

I could always hook up my Fluval 404 to the tank with a spray bar. It's just sitting in the basement, after all. Heh.

Julie

You don't want too much "turbulance" though.

Julie

Mettle

Thus the spray bar - to difuse output... And Fluvals have adjustable flow rates.

But that would just be annoying.

I think the two AC200s are adequate. Both are rated 'up to' 50 gallon tanks.