Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Plexiglass

Started by sanny, June 17, 2014, 01:52:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanny

Looking to do a DIY canopy. I'm looking for plexiglass but plastic sheets. Something I cut with scissors. Using it to make a canopy for my tank and I don't have the right tools to cut glass. So any help would be great.

ftan

3030 Conroy rd, Canus Plastics
close to Boston pizza
75g  congo tertas
        columbian tetras
        torpedo barbs
        tinfoil barbs

10g planted
pair of killifish

ftan

You are better off buying a glass canopy from store.
I tried using acrylic or plexiglass as a canopy but over time it starts to sag from the heat of your light unless you use led lights.
75g  congo tertas
        columbian tetras
        torpedo barbs
        tinfoil barbs

10g planted
pair of killifish

daworldisblack

Was thinking of using egg crate cust to size and then putting a thin plexi glass cover over myself. Anyone done that?
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

sas

Ditto on buy a glass lid from the store. Plexiglass sags and also
discolors over time.

exv152

In my experience with plexiglass you want to buy it pre-cut. You need the right bit to cut the plexiglass, and right tool, ie; a jig saw, table saw or router. But if you mess up it is a real PITA to fix. Home depot sells sheets that are precut and they may cut it too, also one of our sponsors sells sheets for T5HO fixtures.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Al

Glass will probably be cheaper than plexiglass, just get it cut to the size you need at a glass shop. Your options with glass are hinged or sliding-to me sliding is the preferred route as hinges eventually crack and need to be replaced. Tracking for the sliding glass is pretty cheap. With either glass setup you can put a plastic trim at the back to customize for filter plumbing a lot easier than working with plexi unless you have the tools. As others said, plexi or acrylic will eventually sag as well, whereas with glass any water stains can easily be taken care of.
Good luck

sanny

Thank you guys all for the help. I was at Big Al's today and I was pretty satisfied with the price they have on glass lids so, I'll go for that.

Aquaviewer

Clarifying one point on acrylic (Plexiglas, Lexan etc....) .  Its sags (actually its expanding and warping)  because it absorbs water on the humid/wet side not because of the heat from your lights.  For this reason, should you choose to use acrylic, it's important to cut it smaller than the opening to allow for expansion, otherwise it will get stuck in addition to warping.  (Further this is the reason it's risky to use acrylic as baffles in sumps as you risk cracking the tank once the acrylic expands -  not to mention silicon doesn't stick to acrylic anyway).

so Ditto on benefits of getting a glass canopy.  Unless you are set up to work with acrylic or glass, a glass canopy from your LFS ends up being more affordable when you factor in your time and the cost of getting material cut.   
Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma