Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

The new way of reading co2

Started by charlie, July 01, 2014, 12:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exv152

It was only a matter of time before someone came up with one of these. Great idea. Hopefully the csa certification doesn't take too long. Looking forward to seeing it hit the market.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wolfiewill

So, how much are you guys pledging? $200 gets you one. I'm tempted.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Dxpert

I send the guy a message asking for more info: I need more information on the sensor. How does it work? How long does it last?

His answer: The basic principle of operation is that CO2 degasses from the aquarium water through the probe and into the detector chamber inside the sensor. The co2 concentration is then detected  every 3 seconds by a NDIR (infra red light absorption system) detector and displayed. The manufacturer of the detector says the useful life expectancy is greater than 15 years. I built an early model for own uses about 4 years ago that still works as well as when I first built it.

lucius

I'm tempted also.  If there's three of us interested, maybe we can get together and pledge $619 and get three controllers.  It works out to be $206 each.

fischkopp

Kinda pricey still. Makes me wanna build my own ...  ::)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

wolfiewill

Quote from: Dxpert on July 08, 2014, 07:10:54 AM
I send the guy a message asking for more info: I need more information on the sensor. How does it work? How long does it last?

His answer: The basic principle of operation is that CO2 degasses from the aquarium water through the probe and into the detector chamber inside the sensor. The co2 concentration is then detected  every 3 seconds by a NDIR (infra red light absorption system) detector and displayed. The manufacturer of the detector says the useful life expectancy is greater than 15 years. I built an early model for own uses about 4 years ago that still works as well as when I first built it.

How easy are they to build? You have me interested. I don't like the pH v KH method but use it 'cause there isn't anything else cheap, easy and simple enough for me. And I don't use peat, so.... what are ya goin' a do, eh?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain