Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

LED Moonlights

Started by garnpet, December 02, 2005, 10:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garnpet

1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

darkdep

Looks nice...but they're GOUGING HARDCORE on the shipping.

jaracas

how about these instead?
these are what i'm looking at using

repeej

Might be cheaper going right to their website.

http://www.projectx.com/

garnpet

Yes, the shipping is a bit much, I was more interested in getting opinion of the lights.  To me, they seem to be good.  Does anybody use them?

jaracas?  A missing link perhaps?

repeej

Here's what the cost would be going directly through the company.

garnpet

That is $US don't forget.

Aside:  I really hate it when Canadian companies have their prices in $US.

repeej

Quote from: "garnpet"That is $US don't forget.

Aside:  I really hate it when Canadian companies have their prices in $US.

YES....forgot to mention that.

BigDaddy

Or you can go to Active Electronics on Merivale and get the parts to build it yourself.  It's really not rocket science.  And high intensity LED's are pretty inexpensive.

henry

I was looking at something like that earlier this year. They would be great.  The only problem I had with that is there didn't look like any way to adjust the light intensity.  Something you could put between the light fixture and the glass would be great. Also now there are LED xmas lights as well, but I don't know how small a string you can buy, and you are still stuck with 110v close to water,and still no way to adjust the intensity? 110v and water make me nervious.

I bought a couple "Superbright UV LED's" at the local electronics store this summer, and wanted to experiment with making a 12 volt DC adjustable moonlight DIY setup, but no time.  :(  I was thinking of  using a 12 v dc transformer as a power source and some plug-in quick disconnects at the hood, just thought it would be safer, customize each tank lighting, and you could do multiple tanks off the same transformer.

There are also some high end aquarium hoods that come with a moonlight option I found on the net.

Yes, same as BD's post.

repeej

X-mas LED's will not be bright enough.  Tried it myself and just ended up returning the lights.

darkdep

You can also use Cold cathode tubes.  Buy a set that they use for Computer cases; then just get one of those adjustable power supplies from Radio Shack, wire it up, and voila.

jaracas

Quote from: "darkdep"You can also use Cold cathode tubes.  Buy a set that they use for Computer cases; then just get one of those adjustable power supplies from Radio Shack, wire it up, and voila.

thats what i meant to link to in my post but forgot the hyperlink.
it's an all-in-one unit cw 2 12" cathodes

http://www.adpmods.com/case-modding/product.php?productid=1466&cat=16&page=1

jgolden

Quote from: "henry"I bought a couple "Superbright UV LED's" at the local electronics store this summer, and wanted to experiment with making a 12 volt DC adjustable moonlight DIY setup, but no time.  :(  I was thinking of  using a 12 v dc transformer as a power source and some plug-in quick disconnects at the hood, just thought it would be safer, customize each tank lighting, and you could do multiple tanks off the same transformer.

I did the same thing... bought a couple "Superbright" UV LEDs, resistors, speaker wire, and a 12v transformer. Okay, it isn't the most aesthetic, but it works. In fact, my brother and father asked me to make them a set too.... Took me about an hour to solder the resistors to the LEDs, and to the speaker wire.

henry

That looks great. And a lot less work. (3mm dia.-- 1/8" x 12" ) Should be able to find room almost anywhere under the fixture.

henry

Quote from: "jgolden"
Quote from: "henry"I bought a couple "Superbright UV LED's" at the local electronics store this summer, and wanted to experiment with making a 12 volt DC adjustable moonlight DIY setup, but no time.  :(  I was thinking of  using a 12 v dc transformer as a power source and some plug-in quick disconnects at the hood, just thought it would be safer, customize each tank lighting, and you could do multiple tanks off the same transformer.

I did the same thing... bought a couple "Superbright" UV LEDs, resistors, speaker wire, and a 12v transformer. Okay, it isn't the most aesthetic, but it works. In fact, my brother and father asked me to make them a set too.... Took me about an hour to solder the resistors to the LEDs, and to the speaker wire.

Was 2 LED's enough jgolden? What size tank?

jgolden

Quote from: "henry"Was 2 LED's enough jgolden? What size tank?

My tank size is 75G. I used 10 LEDs (I probably could have gotten away with only using 5). My dad's is a 55G; I used 5 LEDs. My brother's is a 25G SW; I used 3 LEDs for his, and probably should have used 4.

93GTCANADA

why dont u guys go to a car performance shop. and they actually sell all kinds of led's. pm me for info and i will get u in contact with a shop. im sure it would work for an aquarium. not 100% sure maybe someone could shead some light.