Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Anybody keeping Puntius denisoni ?

Started by vic622, April 07, 2015, 08:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vic622

Does anybody have a school of Puntius denisoni?

I'm thinking of adding them as feature fish in my 120gal planted (w/CO2) tank (4'x2'x2').

How many can or should I add to this size tank?
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Congo Tetra, Pearl Gourami, Honey Gourami
Serpae Tetra
Bronze & Pepper Corydoras, BN Plecos, Yoyo Loaches

robt18

I used to have them - one of my favourite fish that I've kept. I would get at least 8-10 if you really want them to do well. A heads up though, they spook easily so they need lots of swimming space and preferably in a tank where people aren't walking by too often. I'm not sure if the pond bred ones today are so bad (as mine were wild caught years ago) but that was my experience. Awesome fish.

vic622

Quote from: robt18 on April 08, 2015, 08:33:03 AM
...  they spook easily so they need lots of swimming space and preferably in a tank where people aren't walking by too often ...

My concern exactly! The tank is a 120g peninsula between the dining room & living room, although I live alone, there will be some people traffic ...

Are they as spooky as Bala Sharks? They never seem to calm down :(
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Serpae Tetra

robt18

I found worse than Balas, but Balas get bigger. Again, mine were all wild caught, which can play a part in their temperament. When I had them in my 60x18 120 gal they seemed to be much happier. In my 55, not so much.

vic622

I've heard the recently available stock is pond or captive bred.

I wonder if anyone has any experience with them?
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Serpae Tetra

sanny

I use to keep them as well. They key is to add plants for them instead of darting around the tank. The bigger the school,the less they'd get spooked.

vic622

With a 2' tall tank, what would you suggest? Just tall Val's or?
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Serpae Tetra