New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Malawi Mbuna tank - How Much Sand

Started by blizzack1, December 07, 2005, 03:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blizzack1

How deep should my sand be in a Malawi Mbuna tank? I understand these guys like to dig around quite a bit.

I've got about 2" or so right now.  How much more should I throw in?

Many thanks,

Josh

Sailfin

Quote from: "blizzack1"How deep should my sand be in a Malawi Mbuna tank? I understand these guys like to dig around quite a bit.

I've got about 2" or so right now.  How much more should I throw in?

Many thanks,

Josh

My aquarium seems that construction is always going on.  Rock piles go down, gravel hills come up.    I spread the small colored decorative stones around the aquarium, only to find that they are in a pile the next day.....I stick my hand in....and there's always a wise guy coming to nip my arm.

repeej

If built properly, rock piles will not tumble.

2" of sand is plenty.  Considering you should be doing weekly water changes....that will give you the opportunity to control the sand coverage on a steady basis.

kennyman

I find the only digging they do is to make a small space under a rock bigger. So I burry the first layer of rocks about 4" apart in the substrate and place larger ones over the spaces. Thay way they can dig tunnels through the rock pile but never compromise the stability.

2" seems plenty for me :)

darkdep

Mine dig a lot, but as Kennyman mentioned they mostly dig caves under the rockpile.  Careful placement of your rocks is required to prevent toppling.

You'll find if you put in 2" uniform, that you'll eventually have spots down to bare glass and spots piled up to 5-6".

Sailfin

Quote from: "repeej"If built properly, rock piles will not tumble.

2" of sand is plenty.  Considering you should be doing weekly water changes....that will give you the opportunity to control the sand coverage on a steady basis.

The rocks aren't tumbling....they are just digging out the gravel from under the rock to make tunnels.

repeej

That's the problem....there shouldn't be any gravel "under" your rocks for them to dig.  The rocks should be sitting right on the bottom of the tank.