Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

opinions on Filters

Started by clouxles, December 14, 2005, 02:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clouxles

I am setting up a 150 gallon tank and would like to have 2 filters (for sanity's sake). I am considering going with 2 magnum 350s with inline heaters, it seems rather pricey but the reviews are good...  and why clutter the tank. Anyone use them? (filters and heaters) Are they quiet? Reliable? Sturdy? What do most people use for their large tanks? I like the water polishing capabilities of this filter. You may see my diatom filter for sale soon. Any way I'll listen to any opinions and go from there... my Discus are going to be very happy.  :D

Thanks in advance!

Mark D.
Mark D.
210 gallon 3 Ornate Bichirs, 1 Dhelezi Bichir, 1 Rope Fish, Black Ghost Knife, Royal Pleco, Fire Eel, Clown Loach, BN Pleco
125 gallon Elephant Nose, Rainbows, Gourami (Pearl - Blue) Plecos (BN & Clown)

Go big or go home... no more MTS for me

BigDaddy

The only complaint most people have about the Magnums is the limited media capacity for a canister.  No doubt, the micron cartridge is great... dpatte and bomag both have 350s and neither one of them have complained to me about 'em.

If it was up to me, and water polishing was an issue, I'd get one Magnum 350 with a permanently installed micron cartridge (with a good prefilter on it) and another canister that can handle big time media like an Eheim, Fluval or Rena

As far as inline heaters go.. Marc seems to like his....

sylvain

i had a 350 magnum, and I got rid of it, as far as diatom filtration, you are better off with the real diatom filter, no comparison, keep it.
Sylvain 
220-
150-
120-

Meniscus

I've got 3 filters running on my 120. 2 Ehiem ProII 2028's and an AC110. This is a ton of filtration for the volume of water, but it definitely gives me a lot of peave of mind when it comes to my filtration. Plus it allows for a larger bioload.
How many fish are you planning on keeping in the 150? Do you need tons of filtration? I always like to have at least 2 filters on a tank just in case something goes wrong with one. Also it is easier on the mini cycle if you clean only one filter at a time and stagger them.