Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help with wiring needed...

Started by DonCorleone, December 20, 2005, 09:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonCorleone

This is my 10 gallon light fixture which holds two incandescent light bulbs, and the left wire, which is supposed to be plugged into the electrical socket is split in two. As you can see, the wires on the left are split into two, with one of them (bottom) having words on them.

The words read "(UL) SPT-1W 18AWGX2C VW-I 105ÂșC WATER RESISTANT E77975 WONDERFUL-D. Not sure what much of that means, except AWG (American Wire Gauge), which corresponds to the wire size, it's resistance and how much current it can carry, or so I've been told...

Is the black wire on the right (attached to the "lighting fixture") the live one, and do I join it to the wire on the left which has the words... Or is the live wire white, and do I join it with the wire from the plug with the words?

Much thanks!

darkdep

For your application (Incandescent lights), it doesn't matter.  

Hook em up either way and you'll get the same results.

DonCorleone

So no short circuiting/fuse blowing if I use any of the four combinations avaiable?

darkdep

Well, there is really only two combinations possible... "writing" wire to white, or "writing" wire to black.  

Incandescent light bulbs do not care about polarity.  You have no possibility of a problem.  Just make sure the wires are twisted together nice a tight and use marretts.

Mila

Black wire is live, goes to wire with words (smaller pin on the plug)

darkdep

DonCorleone

Thanks for the QUICK reply guys! Appreciate it. And yes, after some common sense, I've realised that there are in the end, two combinations.  :lol: