Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Submersible Utility Pump

Started by Calico3, May 26, 2019, 09:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calico3

Hello : A number of weeks ago I posted asking of a way  to drain my freshwater aquariums and rather then using a python and having the water drain down my sink. I wanted to be able  use my aquarium's water on my garden during the summer months.  I recently was able to find a good deal on a small Submersible pump.

However on pricing the flex tubing at the LFS I found that the tubing  ( either  3/4  or 1 inch ) would cost considerably more then I paid for the pump .  Does anyone know where I could finding tubing to use without breaking my pocket book.  I don't think that I could buy regular garden hosing as it probably  will not be fish safe .

Thank you for any help with this.    Calico 3   

nerdRVT

I totally know what you mean about the hosing. I have this same issue trying to cut costs at the facility for long hoses where only part of it is actually in the fish water. My solution: adapters to link the fish tubing with actual garden hose. Sometimes I'll have to pump water out of a tank to a vessel several meters away.

I use couplers or barbed fitting adapters. Stuff like this: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/pro-connect-poly-insert-coupling-1-2-inch/1000123230

If you happen to know the inner diameter of the hosing you are using, I can maybe even find an extra one kicking around at work I could give you. Could bring to the meeting tomorrow.

lucius

Calico3

Thank you both very much. I did go to Home Depot this morning and buy an adapter .  Also bought a garden hose .  I will complete with a trip to my LFS to buy a few feet of fish safe tubing to place in my aquarium . The Home Depot nearby had no safe garden hose.

limmer

Princess Auto has really good prices on plastic tubing.