New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Angelfish Breeding

Started by neon1423, March 16, 2019, 06:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neon1423

Hey all, so a few months ago I had 3 angelfish in my 75 gallon aquarium. One day I noticed something grey on one of amazon swords leafs. Upon closer inspection I realized that 2 of the angels had paired off and spawned. Now with the tank mates in the 75 there was no way the angels would raise the young, and their territorial defending of the eggs meant everyone was getting super stressed. So, much to my surprise, my fiancee suggested we set up a separate tank for them and try breeding them.

I set up a 30 gallon, with some sponge filters, a heater, some basic decor and a nice piece of slate for them to spawn on. we set it up in a spare bedroom so it would be quiet and put a towel over the tank to further isolate them. Obviously they liked it because they spawned twice within 3 weeks.

Now sadly the father (I think) died suddenly and with little warning anything was wrong. We decided to leave the mom in and see if the young would survive and they have.

Today I removed the mother, and set up a small HOB filter (aquaclear 20 with a sponge over the intake) and while I was doing a water change the remaining young decided to pose for a picture. If my memory is correct these guys are about 3 months old. The biggest in the picture is about the size of dime.

rivermuse

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing the pictures and the story behind it.

neon1423

So we decided to really get into this whole breeding thing. We bought a new mated pair at the auction (thank you Greg Wildey) and with the help of my father we build a stand to handle a 30 gallon breeding tank and up to 8 10 gallon grow out tanks. I currently have 2 of the 10 gallons running with more on order from Critter Jungle.

After a few trips to Critter Jungle and a major rethink when we found out the stand we built doesnt actually fit through the door to the room I wanted it in, we finally have it set up in the dining room. I've attached a pic of what it looks like and theres a link below to a small album of us building it.

https://imgur.com/a/dynbBxw