Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Nightmare in the basement.

Started by pegasus, December 30, 2005, 12:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pegasus

It's 3:00am (this morning); I go down the basement to turn off the lights. There's water at the bottom of the stairs and it's coming from the fish room. Oh s...........!
I find a 75g tank down to 10gal, pile of rocks and 30 or so fish with their dorsal sticking out. First check on them, they are breathing normally, ok! It must of just have happened, moments ago, the water still worm, the power head and the heather are still working, so I unplug them. Two feet away from the tank there was yesterday a 5gal empty pail, well it's full now.
I move the fish, stripping 3 yellow labs and a zebra that I was to do anyway.
The tank, for those who came before, is the first 75gal as you come in, the one holding my best breeders, Red Empress, Sunshine, Frontosa etc. It's 30years old and a side panel decide that this was the best time to bust out at the seam. It will need more than recocking.  :cry:
Two different buyers are coming this afternoon and my best looking fish are in a garbage pail.
:oops:

repeej

On the bright side, tell the breeders that your best fish are so hardy they can even live in a garbage pail.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Michel, good luck repairing the tank.

aidensmomma2000

pegasus

Quote from: "repeej"On the bright side, tell the breeders that your best fish are so hardy they can even live in a garbage pail.
It could have been worst, I could have found them all died or I could have had to go to work today.  :D

pegasus

First casualty, my sole male Sunshine has found an opening and jumped out of the pail. I guess I'll have 2 females for sale or wait for last week fry grows up.

Sue

If you need some temporary tank space while you reseal or buy a new tank, just pm me, I could easily make either a 100 g  or 55 g available.

darkdep

Oh no!  That's horrible!  Was that the one you had to undo all the rockwork to catch my fish when I was over last??

I doubt there is anything I can do to help, but if I can, let me know.

james

Hi Sorry to hear the bad news. The same thing happen to my brother, and luckily it was also in the basement. His tank was 20 years old. I can loan you some tanks if you need any.
 James
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

pegasus

Thanks guys.
I should have this tank back on line by tomorrow night or Sunday. I had planned on buying a BA special but I was offer 4-40 gal (160g) to be pick up next week or so.
Good news.... my red salousi are holding.
More good news... With all those 75gal sold at BA, I'm getting more requests for my adult Africans, giving me more space for more breeding. :lol:

Julie

Poor you- what did you do with 65 gallons of water on the floor?

Julie

NjOyRiD

do you need a tank for the moment? je peut ten apsser une, jai une 65g de libre...
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

pegasus

Quote from: "Julie"Poor you- what did you do with 65 gallons of water on the floor?
The house is not level so the water went from one side to the other toward the sumpump, it also help to have kept the concrete floors. Remember the icestorm? I had 3' of icy water down there... grasp this image of me in my boxer rescuing 3 birdcage in the dark not knowing if I would reach the stairs before freezing to death.
Quote from: "NjOyRiD"do you need a tank for the moment? je peut ten apsser une, jai une 65g de libre...
Merci, ca va tout est sous control. The fish are fine in their heated and filtered pail for the moment.

Julie

3 feet of icy water in your basement - oh the pleasant memories we all have of the ice storm :? ; let's hope it's the last.

Julie

NjOyRiD

what are you gonna do with the fish?!
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

pegasus

Quote from: "NjOyRiD"what are you gonna do with the fish?!
There's a few posts to this topic.  :)
They are going back to their tank. The filters, the gravel and the rocks are kept in a maner to keep everything alive. The fish should only return to a tank that just got a 90% water change. :)

cory

sorry to hear that michel. Call me if u need ne help.