Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Home made filter question

Started by Woody, December 30, 2005, 08:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody

I am going to build some old fashion bubble filters, similar to the old corner style filters. Planning on using 2 litre plastic ice cream containers, holes drilled in the lid, an inverted pop bottle bottom with small holes on the inside bottom with a 3/4" lift tube running straight up center. Gravel will be placed over the pop bottom bottle to weigh it down.
My question is, what media would be the best, floss, sponge or bio-balls? There will be probably 1.7 litre of space to fill.
Plan on putting two of these on 50 gallon fry grow out tubs, figure with frequent water changes, it should be suffice.

Any recommendations on the media to use, I presently am a floss type of guy, but am looking to maximize the filter capability.

Thanks

Woody

darkdep

I'm planning to do something like this as well, but much smaller and simpler (only doing 10gal tanks).  I would suggest you stick with the floss.  It is by far the most economical and effective, IMHO.

tuvok

I use plastic pot scrubbers instead of bio-balls and the like. I have had no problems with them so far and they do not need to be replaced frequently (if at all).