Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Leveling an Aquarium

Started by Quatro, January 16, 2006, 09:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quatro

Hey,

I am just setting up my new 75gal (a big thanks to darkdep for reserving one for me at the boxing day sale) and am trying to get the water level.  I have it 1/4 full and measured from the bottom of the tank to the top of the water.  There is a 5/8" difference from one side to the other.  I just added a piece of wood under one side and the water is now level.  I am concerned about the gap that has been created and hope some structural engineer can alleviate my concerns.  Thanks

I attached a picture (I tried to draw it to scale).
green = floor
red = original particle board stand
blue = extra 2x4's I added (front and back)
yellow = wood added to level tank

Mike S

james

Hi
What you can also do is use some foam under the tank if it is not level. For 5/8 '" differance the weight of the tank should self level itself on the foam.

James
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

TBarb

Rona or Homedepot sells wooden shims that you can place underneath every few inches to balance the load on the floor. Just cut off the excess

Mila

Looking on your picture you should shim it under  each verical suport.

darkdep

After looking at your picture, I would second Mila's suggestion...get shims and put them underneath the vertical points (so, 4 per side) and cut/snap off the excess.  You should be fine then.  I also wholeheartedly suggest a layer of 1/2" styrofoam under the tank itself (between stand and tank).  You can get big sheets of this at home depot for about $2.00 in the insulation section.

Quatro

Great.  Thanks for the info.  I don't think I can shim along the back because there is a wall in my way (I'll try though).  I'm gonna try the foam under the stand (20" at 1" thick then 16" at 1/2" thick) then shim along the front.  That should give me a sturdy base and it should crush down to the thickness I need (I'll still use the piece of wood I have in there now).  For the foam between the stand and the aquarium, should I cut it larger then the footprint of the tank or smaller?

Mike S

darkdep

Well, it only needs to be the size of the tank...but Styrofoam is hard to cut perfectly.  Aim for an extra 1/2 inch on all sides just so you have some play room.

luvfishies

I wouldn't put foam between the stand and floor. Is that what you meant when you said

I'm gonna try the foam under the stand (20" at 1" thick then 16" at 1/2" thick) ?

Quatro

Quote from: "luvfishies"I wouldn't put foam between the stand and floor. Is that what you meant when you said

I'm gonna try the foam under the stand (20" at 1" thick then 16" at 1/2" thick) ?

In the picture you see the white gap under the stand.  I will still use the wood support block but the foam should fill in the gap and add support (I'm talking ridged styrofoam, not the sponge like foam).

Mike S

darkdep

As long as it's for gap filling and not for actual weight support, it's ok.  If the styrofoam is holding weight it'll not be as solid as it appears...

Quatro

The stand is level and the tank has been filled with water for 24 hours.  I plan on letting it cycle for a while but am considering making some custom shims (once I get access to some tools again).  Thanks for everyones help.

Mike S