Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Sick pluco ??? I need advice

Started by flamingmoe, August 14, 2007, 07:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flamingmoe

Hi i have a pluco that has been with me since i started doing the aquarium thing about 6 years ago he has moved from tank to tank and is now in my 125g. Here is my problem i believe that he has fungees growing on him but the rest of the fish are fine he is not moving but he is breathing very fast? My daughter is 6 and she has loved and hated him since she first saw him. He is 13" long now there is a clown loach in my tank and he is doing very well. I'm in the process of get the hospital tank to the right temp, when i had ciclids one got something like this and i still have meds that i used they have not expired yet just wondering if i can use the on him?  The med is called Maracyn? any help please  :(

beowulf

If you could post some pictures of the pleco, it would help.

Nerine

I agree pictures would help...
make sure the sick tank water is as close to the main tank as possible, what i used to do was do a 'water change' and use the tank water to fill the sick tank 3/4 full and use new water for the rest so it's pretty much the same...sick fish stress easy!

I hope he's doing better....can you describe the problem in as much detail as possible?
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Crumpet

Just with regards to the medicine -- the plecos tend to be a bit sensitive to meds, and I'm not sure how he would take to the maracyn if you do need to dose his hospital tank.  Hopefully some of the pleco experts out there can recommend something safer for your big guy.

Hope he feels better soon

flamingmoe

Well sad to say my big guy has perished  :'( I'm pretty mad at myself for not being able to help him more. My daughter is heart broken, i was not aware the pleco were sensitive to meds?

babblefish1960

Terribly sorry to hear that you lost the fellow before you could get to him with aid. He sounds like he or she was a integral part of your life, I am sure your daughter will be heartbroke for a while.