Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Info needed on Had A Snail.

Started by torch89, September 05, 2006, 09:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

torch89

Living far from Ottawa, I sent my sister to pic up some Had A Snail at Big Al's today.  In the catalogue and on the package it apparently says it is harmless to fish and plants.  The person serving my sister told her as a heads up that if I have plants, this stuff has copper in it and I can't use it in that tank.  Anyone have any experience with this product?  Can I use it in a planted tank?  Haven't gotten the product yet to see ingredients or anything as it will be mailed to me.  Any info on experiences or knowledge would be appreciated. 

squeeker

I don't use it... IMO, anything that kills a snail can't be good for the others in the tank.  There are many cheaper, gentler methods of eradicating pest snails. 

My $0.02.

zapisto

usually copper will most likely kill any invertebrate in the tank.
snail, of course, but shrimp, copepod, and macrocopique animal will die.

personnally i hate use cemical in my tank.

babblefish1960

Quote from: zapisto on September 05, 2006, 09:51:29 PM
usually copper will most likely kill any invertebrate in the tank.
snail, of course, but shrimp, copepod, and macrocopique animal will die.

personnally i hate use cemical in my tank.
I would simply add that in addition, almost every catfish and loach suffer with copper as well.

You could always pluck and chuck them patiently over a couple of weeks, or you could install a natural predator, such as a clown loach.

mseguin

Use zucchini to lure them, then pick them off.

pegasus

And if you do use it, get rid of those died snails fast, and if you have MTS... good luck.

Rocktopus

Quote from: Pegasus on September 06, 2006, 12:08:44 AM
And if you do use it, get rid of those died snails fast, and if you have MTS... good luck.
Most shrimp will pick the shells clean.

My quartet of dwarf puffers clean out a snail filled tank (50 or so) in less than a day usually.  Very persistant hunters.

SuperT

I always thought a product like this would be ideal for a new plant wash/rinse before being planted in the tank (just to ensure that there are no snails/eggs along for the ride).  But since I don't really like adding things to the water either I just bought clown loaches and they seem to keep everything in a nice balance.

Terry