Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Induistrial sand VS. Play sand

Started by lucky777, September 06, 2006, 09:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucky777

I have used play sand in the past for my tanks.  A new hardware store opened last week, so I went in and they had some nicely coloured Industrial sand.  I purchased a bag just in case I got the OK from you guys to go ahead and use it. The sign in front of the sand said "No Silica in sand".   I also just googled Indus. Sand in aquariums and there was nothing saying not to use it.

Is it OK to use Industrial sand or is there something I'm missing here?

slickshooter

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/sand.php

THey actually may be the same thing depending on the wording.

I used "Pool filter" sand from Mermaid.  $10 per 50lb bag great colour.

No matter what sand you go with rinse it.
The only major differences between sands are colour,size and sometimes ph buffering.

lucky777

Really great link, lots of good info.  Thanx

shell

Whats the advantage of using sand over gravel?  It seems to me sand would be very messy, and how would you clean it with a vacume hose?  It would just suck all the sand up.

darkdep

Some people like the look.  And it's better for some kinds of fish, mostly ones who dig.  But, you're right, it's a bit more work to clean.  It has it's plusses and minusses just as gravel does.

lucky777

I love the sand, I just finished cleaning my industrial sand I bought and it's 100 times cleaner then playsand.  For now I highly recommend it, but only time will tell.  Lets see if the fish like  it  :-\

slickshooter

See thats where I think people are wrong.Sand is EASIER to clean than gravel generally.
With sand majority of the "Gunk" stays on top where it's easy to gravel vac up.
With gravel it falls between the cracks.