Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

books

Started by SuperT, September 09, 2006, 06:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperT

I'm looking for a good general species book for both fw aquarium flora and fauna or two books one on plants and one on fish species.  What would you recommend?

Thanks,

Terry

mseguin

Depends how detailed yuo want to be. I.e. do you want a book for example that has 3 species of cories but menions ther'es more, or one that has all of them.

SuperT

i would prefer that it have more detail.  why i used the term 'general' is beyond me.  sorry about that  :o

Terry

mseguin

Well then you really can't beat the Baensch Atlas, especially the photo Atlas.

SuperT

Is it all one book (Baensch Aquarium Atlas : Photo Index 1-5) ?

Just checked amazon and they don't have it.

I was wondering if Big Als carries it and what it (approx) retails for?

Thanks,

Terry

mseguin

The photo atlas is one book, contains photo listings for each species and brief symbols regarding compatability, requirements, size, etc. Then there's a series of books with more detaield species descriptions, not all are available in English yet. BA should be able to order the photo atlas, but check with Jody or Andrew.

SuperT

zapisto

for plant
check this one :

The Aquarium Plant Handbook (2002)

not bad at all, even for a dummy in plant like me  ::)

BigDaddy

Kasselmann's two books "Planted Aquariums Creation and Maintenance" and "Aquarium Plants" are both good as well.  The former is a write up on lighting requirements, ferts, aquascaping, etc... while the latter is a reference book listing just about every aquatic plant you'll find in the aquarium trade.

Both are available from the OVAS library

Julie

I have the simon and schuster aquarium manual for fresh and salt.  It's quite extensive and too the point.