Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Probably an old question of plecos but....

Started by zippity, September 12, 2006, 11:20:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zippity

I am looking to see which if any, cuz from research and experience personally, my pleco died in my cichlid tank but I do know that lots of you guys do have a pleco or two in your african cichlid tanks and was wondering which kind?

Terry

bitterman

I keep 2 Bushy Nose Plecos in my Tang tank. I like them because they do not get too big.

Bruce

zippity

Hey Bruce:

How long have you had them in there and what are you feeding them?

Terry

bitterman

Quote from: zippity on September 12, 2006, 11:24:56 AM
Hey Bruce:

How long have you had them in there and what are you feeding them?

Terry

They have been in there since about May? when I bought then from Loyed. I got a mature male and Female pair and they bread not too long after putting them in the tank. I only have 1 batch of young that a few survived since the Frontosa and Calvus are hard on the eggs and babies.  Make sure you have a pieve of drift wood in the tank as they need it for digestion I'm told.

I feed them:

Algae discs
NLS cichlid formula  and grow (They get any leftovers)
Peas
Zucchini
Shrimp pellets
Leftover mysis

darkdep

I have 4 BN plecos in a 40 gal with a bunch of Labs and Callainos.  They keep the tank very clean. 

I feed them nothing.  They eat Algae and some of the frozen Green Energy formula that makes it to the bottom.  They are doing fine.

apistome

You should stay away from the "fancy plecos" from SA as the require low pH and are much more sensitive to water quality then the more common plecos.

zippity

i had a clown pleco in my cichlid tank and it didnt fare well at all, so i took the other one out and put it in with my angels and driftwood and it did excellent. I sold off a pleco from my goldfish tank and now go figure, i am getting hit by a little algae, shows how well he was keeping my tank. So now I am going to be buying from Loyed 1 pleco again for goldfish, 1 for my angels, and 1-2 for my cichlids. I am assuming a BN pleco will do just fine in there, right?

Thanks for the comments, anymore...keep em coming for my own knowledge.

mseguin

A clown pleco would fall under the category of more delicate SA plecos. My votes would be for gibbiceps, BN, common, and rhino, even bulldog/rubberlip.

lucky777

I have had 2 common pleco's that I have had for about 3 years now, they have been in tank with Green Terror's and Texas blues.  Also in a Hap tank and now in my 77 that mainly has Mbuna in it but also some other Africans.  I sometimes feed Algae Wafers to them and every since I been using a version of Darkdeps African protein diet that have grown enormously in a short period of time.  They usually snack on the left over the Africans don't  get. (Very high spirulina and veggie concentration).  No one bothers them at all and they live well in my water which has Ph that ranges from 7.6-7.8.

Included a pic of both of them, their names are Earl and Randy. As you can see Randy is very happy (Just look at his smile).

[attachment deleted by admin]

zippity

hahah awell looking at the size of these guys lucky!!!!! I can see why the little demasonis want nothing to do with them that is for sure, LOL!!! My ph is at 8.0 and I know plecos can be sensitive to this but hey I got to try it anyhow. My glass tank is well cleaned most of the time but other times my rocks will get covered with a bit of green algae which my mbunas should be eating up alot. But for the leftovers I would like a pleco to do the rest of the cleanup.