Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

container under tank?

Started by hummer, September 14, 2006, 04:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummer

Hello, everyone i just resealed a tank and i'm thinking about putting it upstairs but the last thing i want to happen is a burst.  It would then trickle down into the house.... so i was thinking a container underneath the stand to catch all the water incase of a leak.  Has anyone heard of someone implementing a fail safe like this?  Any suggestions on how to get this accomplished?

Seanc

i have one two of the plastic flower containers from RONA they are just under the filter and the CO2 tank, just in case the seal or something breaks in one of the lines. i think having one for the whole tank is pointless, it just would not work very well.

rickster

it might be wise to do a stress fill test on it for a few day's in an area that it woulnt damade anything .the bin idea isn't that bad as well .take care .

dannypd

Quote from: hummer on September 14, 2006, 04:56:49 PM
Hello, everyone i just resealed a tank and i'm thinking about putting it upstairs but the last thing i want to happen is a burst.  It would then trickle down into the house.... so i was thinking a container underneath the stand to catch all the water incase of a leak.  Has anyone heard of someone implementing a fail safe like this?  Any suggestions on how to get this accomplished?

The best solution is to fill the "underarea" with a few containers of Lysorb or the like....as soon as the water leaks, you will be greated to a room full of GEL and NOT water!

hummer

I never heard of lysorb, what type of foam does it create? What is the density of the foam?  Also, i would think that a container would only be useful for a slow leak.  Any large leak would push the water out at an angle.  My stand is 48 by 18 and i was thinking about making a container that was 60 by 24.  But i suppose it would still catch majority of the water from a big leak. So instead i just might setup in the basement where there are no worries of a leak.  soon or later i would like to move it upstairs however.

dannypd

Quote from: hummer on September 18, 2006, 07:45:18 AM
I never heard of lysorb, what type of foam does it create? What is the density of the foam?  Also, i would think that a container would only be useful for a slow leak.  Any large leak would push the water out at an angle.  My stand is 48 by 18 and i was thinking about making a container that was 60 by 24.  But i suppose it would still catch majority of the water from a big leak. So instead i just might setup in the basement where there are no worries of a leak.  soon or later i would like to move it upstairs however.

Ya, lysorb is used in newer sanitary pads...I dont remember the "gel" stuff sold at regular stores.  But as soon as water touches this powder, it turns into GEL.  The gel will aborb even more water, quite a bit actually.