Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Poll: Idea for BAP contest

Started by mseguin, September 15, 2006, 09:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mseguin

I'm working on an idea for a BAP contest similar to the plant one, and am looking to gauge popularity. The plan would be to contact a local supplier (there are several available) to obtain a few species of fish that are rarely seen (or never been in the area before). The contest would then run for about 12 months, and prizes would be given for breeding the fish and selling to the club within that time period, and possibly a bowl show at the end as well. Fish would have to be pre-ordered, and would ahve to be paid for by the member, but would most likely be significantly cheaper than they would be at the LFS. I would try to get a couple different species, to cater to people with differeing water parameters, and I think it would be a great opportunity to get yuor hands on cool new fish.
Please vote in the poll, and post any opinions/suggestions, you may have.

Muad'Dib

I have to answer no, for now.
It's not that I don't want to participate, I've just got no where to keep the fish right now....
But this definately sound interesting...
50 Gal Main aquarium w/ 40gal sump for filtration - Currently housing 19 cichlids.
4 - Labidochromis caeruleus - Electric Yellow Labs
5  - Cynotilapia Afra White Top "Hara Reef"
4 - Aulonocara sp. "OB " - Orange Blotch Peacock Cichlid
3 - Protomelas taeniolatus (Likoma Is.) Tangerine Tiger Cichlid
3 - Otopharynx Lithobates (Zimbawe Rock) - Aristo Yellow Blaze Cichlid
12 Gal grow tank - 40 + OB Peacock, Electric Yellow Labs, Hara Reef Afras Fry + maybe a Yellow Blaze Litho Fry or 2

mseguin

Ok so it seems that most people would need to know the fish before voting.
That being said, what would be an area of interest for you? Don't need to be too specific, and list a particular species, but give an idea of what kind of fish you would be interested in. For example, a rarely seen betta species, or a rare tetra.

pegasus

Matt put this question in the Sept. quiz:
How many betta species is there anyway? 

I would join but here are some problems that will come up:

-The Africans are well represented in the club, so will be hard to find a specie that we don't have unless variants would be look upon.
-What will we do with all those fry, could the supplier take them all back at half the price he sold them to us. No credit please!
-Will they be sold in pairs or will we have to buy 4-6 juvies to start.

Some solutions:
-Find an out of Ottawa wholesaler, Toronto, Montreal that could take them back.

-One of our breeder could offer to sell some of his fry if they are rarely seen in Ottawa. example: I have enough Telmatochromis Vittatus to supply the contest and taking me out of it at the same time. :'(
I'm thinking .... I would sell them to OVAS at $1@, OVAS would resell them at 6 for $10 and the extra $4 would go toward the prizes: the biggest by a certain date, the first breeding, the biggest brood.

The club use to hold such a contest but or it was using a common fish or one that too many members did not care to even try.

Good luck Matt, it's a great project.

Sue

I can't think of a name of one, but what about choosing a species that is in trouble in the wild, so we would also be doing some environmental good even if we produce too many fry. For example: A lake Victorian cichlid? I looked up Victorians to try and find a picture of the one that was listed on DD/Spencer's group order. There are some very pretty, and endangered Victorians that are being kept alive through captive breeding.

artw

I voted "Depends on the Fish". I think its a great idea, but I dont have facilities yet for breeding.  If I was able to breed gold barbs or cherry barbs or something, I would most definately enter the contest.

Seanc

i would like somethign different. not tetras, but a chiclid, SA? or a catfish?
or a rare hard to breed Livebearer?
what about peacock gudgeons? that would be cool.

Rocktopus

Altum Angels  ;D ;D ;D

It could be the Ottawa movement to finally mass breed them in captivity.

squeeker

for me, it would have to be something that would fit into a 10 gallon.  I'm not about to oust the goldies! 

pegasus

Sue, what a great idea... Many years ago a NY aquarium/research group was offering clubs some free Victorian fish for the same purpose if they could prove their competences in keeping the breed alive and pure.

Woody

I think Pegasus and Sue have hit on the appropriate area that we should discuss in more detail.
There are about forty species of bettas available and at a good price, but the trouble is that 90 percent of them require a very soft, 1 DH , acidic water, pH 4 to 5.5 in order to keep healthy and to attempt to breed them. That is why you do not see them for sale in Pet Stores. There are a few species that can be kept in neutral water, but very few.
A species that can be kept in neutral tapwater or one from the Lakes in Africa, for it is easier to adjust the water parameters up, than down, for the average aquarists.
Then tank size must come in question, something that can be kept in a smaller tank, 10 to 15 gallon. And this cuts down on the size limit.
And finally you would need something colourful and in demand to the stores, remember most pet stores water run in the 7.0 to 7.5 pH and moderate hardness, so we can self off the offsprings.
So it boils down to a rare livebearer, a neutral water anabotiod, a shell dweller from one of the lakes.
Pegasus offer for his fish would be appropriate, they are an interesting looking fish not often seen.

Any other ideas.

Woody

darkdep

I'm all about using a threatened species for this contest.  Then, no matter who wins, we're all doing something good.

Lake Victoria Cichlids come to mind right away.  BTW Sue, "Rock Kribs" are Victorians that we have arriving tommorow; if anyone at the meeting wants to see them.

pegasus

Thanks Woody, I did not think of that.
The vittatus are shell dwellers, could be easely raised in a 10 gal tank, curled to one pair for breeding, or 30gal for 3 breeding pairs or 2 trio, while the Victorians would need bigger tanks.
Whatever the fish chosen, I would think it should one that can breed in lest than 20 gal so that more members would participate.

squeeker

shellies or bettas would be cool.   I've been thinking of re-doing my 10 for shellies after my last betta kicks the bucket.

Muad'Dib

Hmm.. You Guys got my attention.... I'd change my vote from no to yes, if the fish in question was able to be kept and breed in a 10 Gal tank.
I definately like the idea of using this as a captive breeding program for a threatened species. This takes me back to my Aquatic Conservation Network days. "Aquarist Dedicated to the Preservation of Aquatic Life" ...
Count me in!
Dean

Just Changed my vote to Depends on Fish. 
50 Gal Main aquarium w/ 40gal sump for filtration - Currently housing 19 cichlids.
4 - Labidochromis caeruleus - Electric Yellow Labs
5  - Cynotilapia Afra White Top "Hara Reef"
4 - Aulonocara sp. "OB " - Orange Blotch Peacock Cichlid
3 - Protomelas taeniolatus (Likoma Is.) Tangerine Tiger Cichlid
3 - Otopharynx Lithobates (Zimbawe Rock) - Aristo Yellow Blaze Cichlid
12 Gal grow tank - 40 + OB Peacock, Electric Yellow Labs, Hara Reef Afras Fry + maybe a Yellow Blaze Litho Fry or 2

gvv

The problem as I can see it is:
I can participate in the contest when I have the needed type of fish in my tank and know its demands. Otherwise, I will have to start new tank, maybe more for egg-scatterers and also this could be a fish I don't want to have...
So, voted "Depends on the fish"

Aquaviewer

I don't know what the end result of this thread was, but, I think that this would be an interesting opportunity to learn something new. I would consider setting up a dedicated smaller (less than 20g) system to participate, I think that would be part of the challenge. However I agree that there would be a chalcould be problems moving the glut of offspring that would suddenly enter the market at the same time.  If that could be addressed then I think you would have an interesting contest.
Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma

busdriver

Whatever happened to this idea from Matt? ???
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."