Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

More on levelling tanks?

Started by Eric, September 15, 2006, 12:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

Ok, so Jason's disaster gave me the willies. 
I am not sure how to level a 90 gallon that I am setting up.  The problem is that the floor slopes almost 3/4" across the length of the tank, and about 1/4" across the width.  (There must be something good about old houses, but I can't remember what).  There is nowhere else to put the tank.
With metal stands, I would shim the legs.  But wooden stands put the weight all around the perimeter of the stand -- not so easy to shim with beer coasters.  Unless it would be ok to just shim the corners of the stand, moving the weight to there?
Any ideas would be excellent.  One kind of complicated thought I had was to build a wooden frame of 2x2s a bit bigger than the stand, put it in place and fill it with levelling floor compound -- sort of watery cement.  That would make a level floor, but I don't know if it would hold up to the weight or crack.  Wouldn't look the best either.
Thanks if anyone can help!
Eric

darkdep

A suggestion for wooden stands is to use Cedar shims.  They are long and tapered, you can use as many as you need in various locations to get the stand perfectly level, then put a piece of moulding or whatever on the very bottom to hide the shims.

You can buy a big pack of them at Home Depot for a few bucks.

BigDaddy

I use cedar shims on both my 65 gallon which sits on a "wood" stand as well as my 75 gallon that is on a metal stand.

Cheap and effective

Muad'Dib

DD has a good idea there....
I've had to do the same thing before... never used the cedar shims though.. wish I had...
In a previous house I had to shim the corners to level the tank and used folded index cards in a pinch.
This was not the best solution but it's what I had on hand at the time. It sat like that for years with no problem and the stand was one of these particle board/ "IKEA" like stands.
50 Gal Main aquarium w/ 40gal sump for filtration - Currently housing 19 cichlids.
4 - Labidochromis caeruleus - Electric Yellow Labs
5  - Cynotilapia Afra White Top "Hara Reef"
4 - Aulonocara sp. "OB " - Orange Blotch Peacock Cichlid
3 - Protomelas taeniolatus (Likoma Is.) Tangerine Tiger Cichlid
3 - Otopharynx Lithobates (Zimbawe Rock) - Aristo Yellow Blaze Cichlid
12 Gal grow tank - 40 + OB Peacock, Electric Yellow Labs, Hara Reef Afras Fry + maybe a Yellow Blaze Litho Fry or 2

Iceman

As per the APW's suggestion, if you use shims, when you are finished leveling, you can cut them flush to the bottom of the stand with a sharp chisel. Then add the nice piece of molding as DD said.

Eric

Thanks everyone.  Good to hear that shims have worked.  I was worried that it would be too difficult to stack them up to the right amount/slope, or that they would crack or move.  So much at stake -- lots to be said for a concrete floor.
Thanks again,
eric     

rickster

:)
I just wanted to suggest that if u are not currently using a Styrofoam under the tank it will help substantially ,my 180 g sits on a 2x6 wood stand and has a 2 inch Styrofoam SM ,the tank is quite level as others have said as well it helps stability.take care