Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Flourite Questions

Started by Rudy00, September 16, 2006, 11:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudy00

I know art ( i think) uses flourite but i was wondering how much is needed, i already have a substrate in my 90 g and i'm upping the light and will eventually get some crypts, which are heavy root feeders, so i was wondering how much flourite should be added -- i'm going to mix it in with my current black quartz and large grain sand i have in there already

It also appears that i may have to tear my tank down and move it around for a bit while i add it as its fairly messy!! :( small price to pay for some lovely plants i guess

after this and the lighting up grade i think i'll have to get a pressurized CO2 system going next!

BigDaddy

It took about 6 bags of Flourite to provide a 2 inch layer in my 75 gallon, which has the same footprint as your 90.

If you are mixing with other substrates, its really up to you to decide how many bags to buy.

Flourite is NOT a fertilizer.  It is just a plant-friendly substrate.  You will still need to fertilizer your plants with either a liquid based fert or something like root tabs.

Rudy00

I use seachem's flourish now, alright thanks for the advice, i'll have to consider price and the size of the bag upon getting to the store

another question out of personal interest, does anyone inject co2?

charlie

artw

I used 4 or 5 bags of fluorite (I forget) and a big bag of Estes walnut, and I got about 2" as well.  One word of advice with Fl, wash it really well.  Take about 1/4 of a bag and wash it in a bucket 10 times. once you think the water in the bucket runs clear, wash it another 2 or 3 times. it will take you about 3 hours to wash all of your fluorite.  Trust me on this.

BigDaddy

Quote from: Rudy00 on September 16, 2006, 11:25:09 AM
I use seachem's flourish now, alright thanks for the advice, i'll have to consider price and the size of the bag upon getting to the store

another question out of personal interest, does anyone inject co2?

There are several people on the forums, myself included, who inject CO2 either by a pressurized setup or by DIY means

Rudy00

Quote from: artw on September 17, 2006, 09:23:40 AM
I used 4 or 5 bags of fluorite (I forget) and a big bag of Estes walnut, and I got about 2" as well.  One word of advice with Fl, wash it really well.  Take about 1/4 of a bag and wash it in a bucket 10 times. once you think the water in the bucket runs clear, wash it another 2 or 3 times. it will take you about 3 hours to wash all of your fluorite.  Trust me on this.

yeah i heard its pretty dusty stuff, i'm going to use a strainer, bucket and lots of rinsing before adding it for sure

As for the pressurized injection i was wondering how much it ran you price wise?  I think eventually, with some research, i'm going to invest in this system

artw

I dont have a pressurized system but you could ask Garnpet, Toss, Charlie, Jetstream, Seanc or BigDaddy, all of the aforementioned people have bottled systems.  I have DIY pop bottles but after I move I will be investing in a system.  Regulators can be had on Ebay for 150 ish, (look up Milkwaukee Co2 regulator)  Bottles can be had at Davidsons Fire Extinguisher downtown Ottawa and are around $100 I believe.  Budget $300 but the guys above could give you a better ballpark.

Fluorite is expensive but its well worth the investment. Your plants will love it. (they like the iron)
If you want to get adventurous you can use Profile (Schultz aquatic plant soil at Home Depot) but the advice I was given was its messy and its not for beginners. but its a heck of a lot cheaper.

Rudy00

Quote from: artw on September 17, 2006, 10:54:45 AM
I dont have a pressurized system but you could ask Garnpet, Toss, Charlie, Jetstream, Seanc or BigDaddy, all of the aforementioned people have bottled systems.  I have DIY pop bottles but after I move I will be investing in a system.  Regulators can be had on Ebay for 150 ish, (look up Milkwaukee Co2 regulator)  Bottles can be had at Davidsons Fire Extinguisher downtown Ottawa and are around $100 I believe.  Budget $300 but the guys above could give you a better ballpark.

Fluorite is expensive but its well worth the investment. Your plants will love it. (they like the iron)
If you want to get adventurous you can use Profile (Schultz aquatic plant soil at Home Depot) but the advice I was given was its messy and its not for beginners. but its a heck of a lot cheaper.

i've tried the soil trick with a 20g back home, and it is fairly messy
Because i'm adding to alrady existing substrate i think i'll just go with the fluorite or something along those lines

charlie

Milwaukee regulators can be readily purchased @ Marinescape ( Carling Ave.)for about 150.00 & like art said the bottles full charged for 100-140 depending on the size, you will also need to figure out how you are going to dissolve the CO2 into the water column.
Regards
you are quite welcome to have a look @ my set up ( 2 pressurized & 2 DIY )

Rudy00

Quote from: charlie on September 17, 2006, 03:12:09 PM
Milwaukee regulators can be readily purchased @ Marinescape ( Carling Ave.)for about 150.00 & like art said the bottles full charged for 100-140 depending on the size, you will also need to figure out how you are going to dissolve the CO2 into the water column.
Regards
you are quite welcome to have a look @ my set up ( 2 pressurized & 2 DIY )
I definately will have to chat you up about it, the only deal is, regarding your PM i dont have a phone yet ( go go rogers) are you going to be at the meeting charlie?

charlie

As of now Rudy00 , I`m going to the meeting, see you there.
Regards